New build? Or update existing rig?

mgx42

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
After using an Xbox One X for gaming for the past 10 months, I decided that gaming on PC is far superior and that I need to switch back ASAP. I like graphic intensive games like FarCry and prefer to play around very high settings. Current set up for PC isn't bad, but it is becoming dated. Specs listed below. My question is, is it time to rebuild completely, or just update some existing parts? 4K gaming would be nice, but not required. However, I would like to "future-proof" this for as long as I can. Can you guys recommend the most essential upgrades to the rig below? Thanks!

- MSI Z97S Krait Mobo
- Intel i5-4570 (Not Overclocked)
- 8GB ADATA DDR3 SDRAM
- 250GB Samsung 840 Evo
- 1TB WD Blue
- EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2
- Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming
- Windows 10 Home
- NZXT H440 Case

You don't to have to get a new system. You can keep your CPU/mobo combo for at least a year. Its performance is still adequate for gaming. Just upgrade your current rig with a new GPU, when you feel that the GTX 970 is getting slow. You can also get a new SSD, your mobo does support NVMe SSDs and you can install one with a PCIe adapter in the 2nd PCIe 8x slot (since you aren't using SLI). Doing a complete upgrade right now is too expensive because of inflated RAM prices. You'll likely want to get at least 16GB of DDR4 which is too expensive right now. Next year RAM will probably be cheaper and 6-core and 8-core CPUs will be even more affordable. So you'll likely spend less money for better and faster hardware components. Good luck.

The easy thing to do would be to put in a GTX1070 GPU. Secondarily, 8GB more RAM and update the CPU to a used i7-4770. Otherwise, you're looking at a rebuild with new mobo, CPU, RAM and GPU.

How ASAP is ASAP? Nvidia should be launching a new generation of GPUs over the coming months, starting with their successor to the GTX 1080, which is suspected to launch within the next few weeks or so. For gaming at higher resolutions, a higher-end graphics card is likely to be the most important upgrade in the short term.