[SOLVED] New Build or Upgrade Motherboard, RAM and GPU?

Mallsi

Reputable
Sep 3, 2016
Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: This week/next month

Budget Range: $800-$1100

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Some Photoshop, Gaming (Dead By Daylight, Tekken, MK11, Devil May Cry5, Monster Hunter)

Are you buying a monitor: Currently have a 1080p monitor but will upgrade to a 1440p in a few months

Parts to Upgrade: New Build

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: MicroCenter

Overclocking:Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1440x900 1920x1080, - Not sure yet, thinking to upgrade from my 1920x1080 to a 1440x900, but it’s not important now

Additional Comments: I’d like to save some money now and be able to upgrade when new chips/GPUs come out next year. Not not a hardcore gamer and will not be needing 4K for a while.

Currently, I have an Intel 4770k that isn’t overclocked. It runs fine but I screwed up the slot where the graphics card inserts so I can only run the integrated graphics. I wasn’t sure if I should buy a new motherboard, GPU and more RAM or just outright build a new rig. What do you suggest?

I’d also like the motherboard to have Bluetooth, WiFi and be able to fit in a mini itx case.

Solution
I’ll try to remember to list the parts when I get home, I’m not even sure how many pcie slots it has, it was my first build and I built it without knowing much.
Ok, well anyways even with your budget alone you can build a solid 1440P ITX gaming system. Obviosly the price goes down if we reuse some of your current parts plus Microcenter with price match with Newegg, Amazon, etc and usually gives you $30 off with a CPU & motherboard purchase. They may also update the BIOS on the motherboard for you so you won't need to worry about any incompatibilities with the CPU (B450 boards need newer BIOS to run it correctly).

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.79 @ OutletPC)...

WildCard999

Titan
You do have a good budget but if you could reuse the 4770K/DDR3 that'd save you a bit of money to put into other parts (or just save money).

What motherboard do you have currently? Does it only have 1 PCIE slot?

You could find a generic 1150 socket motherboard for like $60, a friend a few months ago bought this and it worked well.
https://www.newegg.com/p/1JW-003D-0...Vz4CfCh10MwCQEAQYAiABEgJzOvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
The one he got though was ITX, not MATX although it worked all the same. The only issue is that it doesn't come with wifi or BT so you'd have to add in those adapters.

On the other hand you could probably just sell your CPU, MB & memory and just get the Ryzen 3600 which outperforms the 4770K and move onto a newer platform.

Please list all of your current parts and the ones you'd like to keep.

Mallsi

Reputable
Sep 3, 2016
You do have a good budget but if you could reuse the 4770K/DDR3 that'd save you a bit of money to put into other parts (or just save money).

What motherboard do you have currently? Does it only have 1 PCIE slot?

You could find a generic 1150 socket motherboard for like $60, a friend a few months ago bought this and it worked well.
https://www.newegg.com/p/1JW-003D-0...Vz4CfCh10MwCQEAQYAiABEgJzOvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
The one he got though was ITX, not MATX although it worked all the same. The only issue is that it doesn't come with wifi or BT so you'd have to add in those adapters.

On the other hand you could probably just sell your CPU, MB & memory and just get the Ryzen 3600 which outperforms the 4770K and move onto a newer platform.

Please list all of your current parts and the ones you'd like to keep.

I’ll try to remember to list the parts when I get home, I’m not even sure how many pcie slots it has, it was my first build and I built it without knowing much.

WildCard999

Titan
Ok, well anyways even with your budget alone you can build a solid 1440P ITX gaming system. Obviosly the price goes down if we reuse some of your current parts plus Microcenter with price match with Newegg, Amazon, etc and usually gives you $30 off with a CPU & motherboard purchase. They may also update the BIOS on the motherboard for you so you won't need to worry about any incompatibilities with the CPU (B450 boards need newer BIOS to run it correctly).

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.79 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($119.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Metallic Gear NEO G MINI Mini ITX Tower Case ($72.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($95.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1053.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-21 12:57 EDT-0400

You'd still need a BT adapter with this system so either get one or find a MB that already has one.

Reactions: Mallsi
Solution

Mallsi

Reputable
Sep 3, 2016

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.79 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($119.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Metallic Gear NEO G MINI Mini ITX Tower Case ($72.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($95.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1053.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-21 12:57 EDT-0400

You'd still need a BT adapter with this system so either get one or find a MB that already has one.

Hi again,

So I found that my current motherboard is the asrock z87 extreme4 and realize that it has 3 PCIe 3.0 x16 and 2 PCIe 2.0 x1 so all hope is not lost for this system. I am now thinking to bump up the RAM to 16GB and just get a new GPU and maybe a new cpu fan since I am still using the one that came with the chip.

WildCard999

Titan
If the top PCIE slot doesn't work this one should.

gdluRsw.png

Reactions: Mallsi