New Build OS - Need Ultimate and Home Pro advice

Twisted_Sister

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Hi everyone,

I'm building a new system that will be used for games, photoshop (getting CS3), and video/flash editing.

I'm going 64 bit (hold breath) to get beyond the 4gb limits of ram (I don't think I'll go beyond 16 gb in this generation of build).

That being said, Home Pro is about 50% less than Ultimate. I'm not interested in having the computer be a server. So the only difference I see is the Superfetch function. Is this right?

I know there are some experienced Vista users here... can you help me decide? I don't mind paying the extra $100 if I'm going to actually use the features.

Thanks!

Solution
I didn’t know that SuperFetch was an Ultimate only item, I have just been enjoying it and thought the pissants were too.

If you don’t mind paying a few extra bucks, I definitely recommend going with Ultimate.

A small aspect (as it may make you feel a bit better or even to the point of being warm and fuzzy) is that you won’t have to pay that ‘nominal’ extra price and then wait for your 64-bit dvd.

Another (strictly) speculation to consider is that today’s difference will most likely just get larger as time goes on. I would guess that in sp 1 (which I heard was NOVEMBER, according to a certain CEO leak over the weekend) would have ‘new’ Ultimate extras.

A third consideration is that I do remember original discussions about...

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
I didn’t know that SuperFetch was an Ultimate only item, I have just been enjoying it and thought the pissants were too.

If you don’t mind paying a few extra bucks, I definitely recommend going with Ultimate.

A small aspect (as it may make you feel a bit better or even to the point of being warm and fuzzy) is that you won’t have to pay that ‘nominal’ extra price and then wait for your 64-bit dvd.

Another (strictly) speculation to consider is that today’s difference will most likely just get larger as time goes on. I would guess that in sp 1 (which I heard was NOVEMBER, according to a certain CEO leak over the weekend) would have ‘new’ Ultimate extras.

A third consideration is that I do remember original discussions about Ultimate which had it offering significantly better support for multi-core processors (has anyone else seen the processor affinity buttons on some property sheets?).

However, you pay your money and you make your choices…

Good luck.

Solution