[SOLVED] New build owing to 11 year old system retirement

Ma3s7ro

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Hey guys.

So i'm finally retiring my entire 11 year old system except the GPU. Need some help with MOBO and well, any suggestions for a cheap itx/mATX build. I'll build it and leave it alone as long as i can. I'll change the GPU every now and then, and if needed a MOBO with PCIe 4.0 when they're cheaper.

No OC's whatsoever.
No SLI.
Mainly gaming and as HTPC.

Right now the ryzen 3600x is 11$ in difference from regular 3600 (241$vs230$), so this is picked:

CPU - 3600x

As for the rest of the build i'm thinking of:

Case: Golden Field n-2s (will be sittin in my living room, so has to be ultra discrete) (70$)
RAM: 32gb G.Skill Aegis DDR4 3000 Mhz (130$)
PSU: I have a Coolmaster rs 600w acab m2, not sure if i should change it or not. (?)
GPU: 1060, will keep it and wait for the Ampere gen 3060 probably.
MOBO: Completely lost over here! And here i need dire help! I prefer Itx, but...

Since it will be 3/4 years probably till PCIe 4.0 is needed, and itx boards are 250$ minimum in EU, i'm thinking of going for a B450/x470 that are cheaper than x570. The thing is, there are according to a great spreadsheet found in reddit and, well, everywhere right about now, there's a whole lot to choose from (with proper bios update).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...IVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

After checking the prices for every single Itx and mATX mobo i was left to wonder, is there such a big difference between a 60/70$ B450 MOBO to a 130/140 B450????

50-80$ (mATX)
Gigabyte B450M DS3H - 60$
Asrock B450M HDV - 65$

80-100$ picks (mATX)
MSI B450M Bazooka Plus (90$)
Asrock B450M Pro4 (85$)

100-150$ picks (Itx)

Asrock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming ITX/ac (120$)
Gigabyte B450I Aorus Pro WiFi (140$)
MSI B450I Gaming Plus AC (140$)

I'm less inclined to the 80-100$picks, since they're in the middle of what i really want and cheaper option, and seen some posts of people claiming the DS3H does a very stable build for 3600x.

Opinions? Wanted to keep it under 500$, so i can buy a 3060/3070 when they arrive next year (the case will be offered).

Thank you everyone!

Last edited:
Solution
Testing the PSU - yes.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test per se as the PSU is not under load.

However if the voltages are pushing the limits then certainly a warning sign.

PSU's are a critical component. And they do degrade with time and use/overuse.

And they can just die without any pre-requisites or ceremony.

Quality matters with PSUs just as much as it does with other products. E.g. the Pro Wifi….

But that is a variable that can be minimized with even a bit of effort and work.

Trade-offs are simply a comparison of risks.

Read reviews, visit manufacturer websites, read the installation documentation (including fine print), Forums, and FAQs.

There...

Ma3s7ro

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah I had seen that, thing is I really can't figure out the amount of heating in an itx, a gaming rig will produce and the risk of throttling! See lots of posts of people saying the Pro WiFi is a no go because of VRM's heating. Same for the fatal1ty. And both have better audio drivers...

And as for the PSU, well, that's just another one I'm struggling, since I can't figure out if mine is utter rubbish or decent(ish). Is there any way to put it to the test?

Thanks

Ralston18

Titan
Testing the PSU - yes.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test per se as the PSU is not under load.

However if the voltages are pushing the limits then certainly a warning sign.

PSU's are a critical component. And they do degrade with time and use/overuse.

And they can just die without any pre-requisites or ceremony.

Quality matters with PSUs just as much as it does with other products. E.g. the Pro Wifi….

But that is a variable that can be minimized with even a bit of effort and work.

Trade-offs are simply a comparison of risks.

Read reviews, visit manufacturer websites, read the installation documentation (including fine print), Forums, and FAQs.

There is always some chance that things will go astray and/or Mr. Murphy shows up.

Make his job harder.

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
KP0XV9.jpg

I'd chuck the PSU; it wasn't a good one when new. It's not a 600W PSU, which they admit. Notice that they don't actually say it's a 600W PSU, it's called an E600 and there's 600 in prominent places, but they never actually say it's watts. You have a max of 408W in the +12V rail so since it's 2019 and not 1997, for all intents and purposes this is a 400W PSU.

It's also a very, very old 400W PSU, with no 80 Plus, and a very basic CWT platform. I wouldn't have used this in a gaming PC back around 2011 or so when this was made. I'm not using this on new parts. Call your sanitation provider an arrange for this to be recycled; it has no business being in your next build.

Ma3s7ro

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Call your sanitation provider an arrange for this to be recycled; it has no business being in your next build.

Lol

Ok, so I decided to take up on your advices and I'll change the PSU. Looking at seasonics, but loads of PSU from them available.

Core GC 500w 44$
S12II 520w 48$
S12II 520w Evo 58$
Core GM 650w 59$
Prime Ultra 550w 80$

From what I gather the regular S12II is group regulated (didn't understand fully why this is bad, tough I understood it could under/over volt components and fry'em up,) so guess this one is a no go. What do you reckon from these above? Which one to juice the system?

Thanks again.