https://pcpartpicker.com/user/dunkelzahn/saved/#view=nMvPnQ
Current summary:

Component Selection
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
Video Card EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card
Case Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive - for a boot drive
Monitor Dell Ultra 2312

My remaining questions:

Is flashing the MSI board required? Assuming no.
Is the stock cpu cooler adequate? If so, will it be necessary to remove any factory paste and re-apply new before attaching to cpu?

Regarding the case, I was considering the alternatives Fractal Design Define XL R2 or the Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Airflow. Either it or the Corsair should have length for video card.

How much better is the M2 memory vs SSD? is it worth it?

The only other issue for me is needing a resource for dummies to get the header pins connected correctly. Is there a good guide? Or am I making this out to be more of an issue than it is?

For the Data Port cable, should I be getting a VESA compliant cable?
I think this is it

Thanks again

Original information edited down:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/dunkelzahn/saved/#view=nMvPnQ
I assume that link will work I didn't mark it private

I chose the Corsair case because it is like the 600TM case that I currently use and is very easy to work in and clean dust out of. Any other case recommendations?
Basically do not want or care about lights in the case. If MLB has them, I would like to be able to disable them.
Don't really care for fan lights either. They look great but the case is going to be on the floor.

The Partpicker site indicates issues between the board and CPU.
I usually do not flash unless absolutely necessary. So my question is, are those parts compatible without having to flash?

Cooling: Is stock cooler adequate? And I know to get real thermal paste, but do you have to scrape anything off the included cpue cooler mounting point?
My current case has top fan, but I see newer one does not. Is that ,assuming, air-cooled/liquid setup fan bar to be mounted at top?

Last item is monitor. Have a Dell Ultra 2312. I know it is 1920 but is still a good monitor. It does have a data port connector.
I never had a DP connector. What DP cable should I get?

Thanks for the input

Last edited:
Solution
Everything looks good except for the memory. Corsair's memory finder QVL indicates that there are no 2 x16GB, CL16, 3200mhz DIMMs sold by Corsair which are compatible with that motherboard.

I would highly suggest going with these instead unless you wish to encounter a high probability of compatibility problems.

These Neo line of Trident Z sticks are specifically designed for Ryzen platforms, and the Ryzen 3000 series REALLY likes to see faster memory than 3200mhz. The optimal memory performance will be achieved with something in the 3400-3733mhz range, with 3600mhz being the least problematic speed in that range that doesn't incur the penalty of decoupling from the infinity fabric, which will happen above 3733mhz.

PCPartPicker...
Everything looks good except for the memory. Corsair's memory finder QVL indicates that there are no 2 x16GB, CL16, 3200mhz DIMMs sold by Corsair which are compatible with that motherboard.

I would highly suggest going with these instead unless you wish to encounter a high probability of compatibility problems.

These Neo line of Trident Z sticks are specifically designed for Ryzen platforms, and the Ryzen 3000 series REALLY likes to see faster memory than 3200mhz. The optimal memory performance will be achieved with something in the 3400-3733mhz range, with 3600mhz being the least problematic speed in that range that doesn't incur the penalty of decoupling from the infinity fabric, which will happen above 3733mhz.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $169.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-24 20:46 EST-0500

The rest, looks terrific.

Solution

dunkelzahn

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2012
OK, thanks for the memory info. Updated list accordingly.
You made me reconsider Intel as only AMD part I ever had was an X200 or X300 video card.
I am still trying to sort the other items out.

Right now, AMD is actually the better choice. Not only do they offer better performance per dollar, but aside from a few game titles they actually have either equal or better performance in both single core and multithreaded comparisons. I am in need of an upgrade myself as I have been riding this i7-6700k for four years now and the recent addition of a new graphics card has highlighted the need for a platform upgrade since my CPU can no longer keep up adequately.

I am waiting to see if Intel offers anything of realistic value beyond it's current 9th gen performance, and if so, I MIGHT go that direction, but I will probably wait and go with a Zen3 CPU whenever those are released because I think at that point AMD is probably likely to firmly take the performance lead over Intel unless Intel pulls something magical out of their collective arses. LOL.

dunkelzahn

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2012
Was having read disk errors too frequently so decided to upgrade.
Ironically, I do not believe it is the hardware. Most Win 7 updates after 2017 are the real problem. Especially after installing updates that don't recognize SSDs or like. After the last reload (which I may do again to create and preserve a working win 7 box) it was not until recent security updates that this problem started again.
Methinks somebody is performing kabuki theater to create incentive to upgrade.

Went with Phanteks Enthoo Pro Series PH-ES614P_BK Black Steel full tower case instead.
Found a deal for the 750 seasonic instead of the 850. Not overclocking so it should be fine still over power requirements.
The Phantek case actually has the same dust screens that my corsair 600tm has in it now. Not sure why corsair cannot include them as well given the almost $80 difference in price.

I don't feel much sympathy for you and your current setup :) I am running I 3570K, GTX 650, Z77 extreme, 8GB ram. But the extent of my gaming was fallout 4. The card was becoming a bottleneck because it was eating through available ram, literally.
But thanks for the Ram update, I missed that connection.