New build PC and I havent a clue

daniel_505

Reputable
Apr 30, 2017
Hi everyone,

I have spent the past few weeks reading books and spent a lot of time on this forum.

Selecting components is very difficult without experience.

I want to build a computer which is "value for money" not cheap and not expensive.

I currently have a Lenovo with AMD Athlon 3.5 7800 GPU and integrated graphics card. There is 12 GB of Ram and 2TB of hard rive storage.

I have attempted editing Go Pro video and it's pretty much impossible. I also run a heavy duty 3D modelling software tool which also makes the system struggle.

I don't currently game on my PC but I would love to get in to that at some point.

I have about 331 GB of data on the harddrive. I also use photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Acrobat DC and a heap of other work related programmes as well as the usual email and web browsing.

I want to be able to do those tasks quickly and easily and be able to upgrade in the future without any major overhauls if possible.

I have a budget of £800 - £1,200 or $1,036 - $1,554

One thing I was quite keen on was getting the power down and keeping the machine as cool as possible as I thought both of these factors would help increase the lifespan of any expensive components.

If anyone can give me some ideas about which components would fulfill the "value for money" criteria whilst delivering good performance within that budget i'd be most grateful for your help.

Thanks!

Dan

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (£199.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350M-D3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£81.76 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£99.80 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£129.60 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 470 4GB HS Black Edition Video Card (£164.39 @ Amazon UK)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case (£64.17 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£68.80 @ Alza)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Full - USB 32/64-bit (£99.00 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £907.51
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-30 13:11 BST+0100

Re use your 2tb for extra storage.

The graphics card, you dont need one yet as you're not gaming but the rx 470 is perfect for someone looking to dip their toes into it as it gives solid performance without breaking the bank. Leave it out for now if you want

Solution

daniel_505

Reputable
Apr 30, 2017
Hi Luco thanks for that. I am pretty well inclined to just run with that.

How do you think that spec would compare to what I have? CCL are out of stock of that particular motherboard board so what would be the next step up?

In general is that spec easy enough to upgrade in the future or is it a case that future proofing is not all that future proof!?

Thats an upgrade not a substitute :)

Future proofing: ryzens 6 core 12 thread should be good for a long time, and AMD have already stated that their next generation of ryzen will be on the same socket so you should be set for a while. Graphics cards have a shorter shelf life than cpus but they're easy enough to replace when the time comes

daniel_505

Reputable
Apr 30, 2017

Hi Luco thanks for your help yesterday.

Yes it's the A10 7800.

Ive been glued to the PC Part Picker website since yesterday.

Are there any factors to different components which would make a difference to upload/download speeds from my broadband?

TRENDING THREADS