New Build PC - Monitor not finding working new build PC

vav111

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
Hi there,

I just built my first PC and I tried to start my new monitor so I can start installing the software. I tried plugging the monitor into the graphics's card DVI port but nothing happened. Then i tried into the DisplayPort but the same result. My graphics card doesn't have HDMI port so I tried the one on the motherboard. When I plugged the monitor into the HDMI, it woke up for 10seconds but then it said that there is no signal.

The whole system seems to be working with all the lights and all the fans spinning but the system speaker is not making any sound when I start the pc.
What can the problem be?

PS: this is my configuration -

- MSI z87 Xpower motherboard
- Intel i7 4790K 4.0Ghz CPU + Cooler Master V8 GTS CPU cooler
- 16Gb RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1333
- NVIDIA Quadro k620 Graphics card
- Corsair CX600 600W Power Supply
- CM Storm Stryker XL-ATX Full tower
- Acer S240HL 24" LED HDMI Monitor

Solution
Some motherboards allow you to flash by inserting a flash drive and pressing a button. Unfortunately, yours isn't one of them. You'll need to install a CPU compatible with that BIOS version then do the flash from within BIOS. You'll need to borrow a compatible CPU or take it to a shop that can do it for you.

vav111

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
I did the steps on the troubleshooting list but the same result. How can I check the BIOS version on the mobo without a monitor? I read a lot of reviews about my problem and that it is connected to an outdated BIOS version.

norsestar

Honorable
Apr 8, 2014
I don't know MSI's numbering schemes but look for a sticker on a chip on the motherboard or on the motherboard itself that has something like "v1.1" or "v11" or just "11" on it (your number will probably be in the 10 to 15 range).

vav111

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
Thanks for the ideas 'norsestar' and 'jimthenagual'. I just found this number on the motherboard - 17811-1.1 ... I guess it means bios version 1.1. On the MSI website i found that the bios version 1.5 is the first one to support Haswell-Refresh series Processors like mine so I guess if I update the BIOS the whole configuration should start working as the CPU and the mobo will be compatible. Do you have any ideas how can I update BIOS without monitor?

norsestar

Honorable
Apr 8, 2014
Some motherboards allow you to flash by inserting a flash drive and pressing a button. Unfortunately, yours isn't one of them. You'll need to install a CPU compatible with that BIOS version then do the flash from within BIOS. You'll need to borrow a compatible CPU or take it to a shop that can do it for you.

Solution