New Build PC - No Signal Following Installation of Graphics Card

catsandstuff

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
Hi

I have recently built my first PC. The motherboard had integrated graphics so I was able to install Windows 8.1. prior to purchasing my graphics card.

Once I had bought the card (EVGA Geforce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked) I proceeded to install this into the motherboard, ensuring everything was connected correctly (6 pin etc) and connected the graphics card to my monitor via HDMI.

Upon powering up the PC, everything started up fine however this time the the monitor was not receiving a signal. I removed the connection from the graphics card and reinserted it into the motherboard's integrated graphics HDMI port. Again there was no signal.

I used both HDMI and DVI to test the connections of the graphics card and motherboard but still no signal on the monitor.

I removed the graphics card, one stick of RAM and CMOS battery to reset the BIOS as I presumed the graphics card had essentially overrode the default graphics settings. I left the battery out and the PC unplugged for 20 minutes then reinserted. Again, the monitor was not receiving a signal.

What on earth has happened? I realise that I should have uninstalled the onboard graphics drivers prior to installation of the graphics card but obviously I'm past that now so how to I go about getting a picture back?!

The specs of the PC I built are as follows:
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z97P-D3
Processor - i5
RAM- 8gb (2 x 4gb)
PSU - AP Pro 550w
Graphics - EVGA Geforce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked

Anything else you need, please ask.

Thanks in advance

Solution
Hi,

Just had a quick read of your manual and it should not make a differance if you did not remove the drivers before you installed the graphics card as you can set your mobo to choose which output you wish to use, try resetting your mobo by the jumpers,If you are not sure how to do this have a look in the manual but all you need to do is unplug you pc from the mains and get a screwdriver and touch the 2 pins,this is like removing the battery but pulling the battery relies on the mobo discharging all electric wheres as the clear cmos pins will cause short it and all electric will be gone from the system. The 9 pin is for mouse, modem or other peripherals.

If it still does not work make sure all wires are pluged in for the graphics...

beefy

Distinguished
May 22, 2004
Hi,

untill you install the drivers for the card dvi won`t work and you might also have to disable intergrated grapihic in the bios also try the jumpers on the mobo to clear the cmos.

catsandstuff

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014

The problem I'm having though is that I am unable to access the BIOS as all connections via either the mobo integrated graphics or graphics card are not producing a signal.

There is one other connection which I haven't tried, the 9 Pin on the Mobo, is this more likely to work at this stage then the HDMI?

beefy

Distinguished
May 22, 2004
Hi,

Just had a quick read of your manual and it should not make a differance if you did not remove the drivers before you installed the graphics card as you can set your mobo to choose which output you wish to use, try resetting your mobo by the jumpers,If you are not sure how to do this have a look in the manual but all you need to do is unplug you pc from the mains and get a screwdriver and touch the 2 pins,this is like removing the battery but pulling the battery relies on the mobo discharging all electric wheres as the clear cmos pins will cause short it and all electric will be gone from the system. The 9 pin is for mouse, modem or other peripherals.

If it still does not work make sure all wires are pluged in for the graphics card, if this fails to give you any joy you might want contact gigabyte and tell them you mobo has failed and hopefully it will be replaced under warrenty.

Solution