Build Advice New build: pc turned on then off, won't turn back on.

astraeos

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2013
Hey all, just built a new pc and seem to be running into some issued I can't seem to find the answer to.

my pc isn't turning on but the rgb lights on my gpu and mobo are on. If I hit the power but I'll hear a 'click' and the cpu fan turns on shortly but then right off.

My specs are:

Gpu - gtx 1070 strix (my old one because I can't get a 3080. It was working fine this morning)

Cpu- ryzen 7 3800xt

Mobo- asus tuf x570

Ram- corsair vengeance rgb (3600mhz)

Psu+ seasonic 750w titanium (prime tx-750)

Also have 1.5 tb of samsung nvme ssd and a 2 tb samsung ssd

I tried to see if it was the power supply and when I did the test the fan would turn on for a bit then go off. I've tried taking the gpu out and turning it on, unplugging all power supply cables on the mobo and putting them back in (except the cpu which I'll probably try tomorrow, it's thought getting behind a noctua dh15). And I tried using a different outlet at another end of my house.

Any suggestions?

Mar 22, 2021
Could you try resetting CMOS? You need to unplug the PSU cable, turn PSU off, remove the CMOS battery and press the Power button several times for like 5 minutes - to remove any current that might reside in capacitors. This will also reset your bios but hopefully you will be able to get there.

astraeos

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2013
Could you try resetting CMOS? You need to unplug the PSU cable, turn PSU off, remove the CMOS battery and press the Power button several times for like 5 minutes - to remove any current that might reside in capacitors. This will also reset your bios but hopefully you will be able to get there.

Yeah I can try that when I get home. I'm also going to try and reseat the cpu cable and just double checking the ram. Hoping my mobo isn't DoA (I'm not sure if the lights are a indicator that it isn't)

astraeos

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2013
So I took the cmos out and hit the power button roughly every 10-20 seconds. I plugged everything back in and now nothing happens when I try start my system. No lights on my gpu or mobo anymore and the cpu fan doesn't even spin.

Mar 22, 2021
That's a bummer and shouldn't happen normally. Are you 100% everything is back as it was? Battery back to it's socket the correct way, PSU plugged in and PSU power button on (it should set on | and not on O). Do you have another PSU handy to try it out?
Or before that you could try plugging out everything not needed for booting such as USB devices, case usb and audio, and GPU - even if you won't have anything displayed the PC should start and then you could put your GPU back on. Also make sure the CPU fan is properly plugged in as well as the 24-pin motherboard cable and the 8-pin CPU cable

Reactions: Quanticriver

astraeos

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2013
Discovered the issue.

Went out and bought another mobo today because I thought I got a DoA, got the same issue. So I started to research what other components would be like if they're dead. Found a video of a guy showing that he got a DoA PSU and it acted exactly like mine. tried turning the power on and nothing, plug the PSU into the wall and have the tester on it, the fans spun for a few seconds then stopped. Decided to try my EVGA 850W in my old system and boom, started right up. Currently writing this on my new PC as everything is downloading.

Kind of a shame my Titanium seasonic didn't work, specially after hearing so much good stuff about them.