New build PC USB ports not active

Oct 13, 2018
Hi my 13 year old son has built this pc , it powers up ok ... but the USB ports don’t seem to work? Any ideas pls ( he saved 2 years for all the components)
Thank you in advance
Specs
ryzen 3 1200
asrock b350pro4
Gtx 1050ti
1tbhdd
8gb ddr4

Could you post your system components?
Which USB ports do not work?
The front USB ports or the rear USB ports (USB 2.0 or 3.0)?

If the front USB ports are not working, then he might not have connected the front panel cable to the motherboard USB header.
If the rear USB ports are not working then the motherboard is faulty.

Oct 13, 2018

I have added the specs in the description and it seems none of the USb ports are working as when i plugged the keyboard in it didnt work

Oct 13, 2018

Hi jojesa thanks for your help so far,

i have a CX 430W

Assuming the standoff are the 3 brass hexagonal screws that come with the mother board, i did not know what they where for ? or where i should put them? so left them out......

we connected the 24-pin and 8-pin ATX power cables from the PSU into the motherboard

upon start up the the CPU fan works and the GPU fan works, but after 5-10 seconds the computer shuts down

we also have a no signal notification on the monitor

TIA

Oct 13, 2018

It was pre applied with the cooler, are you supposed to add more??

Ralston18

Titan
Should not need to add more.

That said, the matter (pre-application) is left in the manufacturer's hands and QA process - if any....

What make and model cooler? Someone else may be able to comment accordingly with respect to the cooler's reliability and standards.

And to follow along with @jojesa, here is a link from within this Forum regarding the standoffs:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3726317/motherboard-standoff.html

What's the model of the RAM module?
1st gen Ryzen is particular (finicky) when it comes to RAM. That's why RAM should be selected from the motherboard manufacturer's Qualify Vendor List (QVL).
Place the RAM in another slot, maybe B2 slot, the second slot from the 24-pin ATX power.

You could also try resetting the BIOS by clearing CMOS.
To do that, unplug the power cord and press the power button for 15 seconds.
Either use a jumper cap to short pin 2 and pin 3 on CLRMOS1 jumper for 5 seconds or remove the CMOS battery.
Place the battery back, plug the power cord and press the power button.

Oct 13, 2018

the ram is Crucial 1x8gb ddr4 and we have also removed the cmos batterrybut we will try and unplug the power cord and pressing the power button

Do you know the model # of the RAM module?
It should start with BL or CT.
It looks like your RAM might not be supported by the motherboard.