Feb 21, 2019
Hello, I have been trying to learn how to build a PC and I'm at the point where I'm trying to start the PC up and install an OS.
When it starts up, the computer takes a few moments, and then beeps once, and then beeps twice. I'm not sure what's wrong. I had read online that for my mobo this means that I need to reseat RAM. With the previous RAM I had [ G.SKILL Value series 8GB DDR3 ] I reseated the RAM into all the RAM slots multiple times and it didn't work. So I sent that one back for refund and I bought a new memory from Corsair. The PC is having the same problem... I don't know what the problem is but it seems like this forum is a good place to ask. Please help me, thank you for your time.

Here is a list of what I am currently using in the overall build: L I S T

Optical Drive is Nvidia Geforce GTX 770 (refurb from AscendTech)
Mouse and Keyboard are cheap lil guys from best buy
No Wifi card yet

My name is Grace btw

Feb 21, 2019
So I have the monitor plugged via VGA instead of DVI/HDMI so I'll work on finding the right cords for this.
The board is not a refurb.
The CPU cooler fan is plugged into the CPU FAN header, and it does spin when I start the computer.

Do you think the problem is just with the monitor signal? Or do you think the mobo has issue too?

Thank you JED for helping me out, I appreciate you taking time.

Hard to say - that's the joy of troubleshooting :)

Think we may have a winner. The GTX 770 doesn't include VGA as a default output and I looked at dozens of pictures of 770s and none included a VGA connector. BUT, your motherboard does have one so I'm thinking you're plugged into the wrong spot. Your CPU doesn't have an integrated GPU so none of the connectors from the mobo will work. Definitely try DVI or HDMI directly to the graphics card.

Reactions: 0611ling
Feb 21, 2019
I tried an HDMI cord today and it didn't change the beeping. It beeps once quickly, then there's a pause, and then there's two quick beeps.
Troubleshooting... heh

snowy12

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
I had a similar problem with a new build I just did ,only mine would run for a few seconds and shut down as there was no speaker on the board i couldn't get beeps .I did reseat the ram .but it turned out that was the problem and you really had to push the ram down .Try running one stick at a time ,and see what happens.

Reactions: J_E_D_70
Feb 21, 2019
Haha, I had actually missed the 4-pin CPU power cable my first time around. Thank you for your help everyone, especially JED for coming back to help several times. I think I'll end up returning the motherboard... :(
@Snowy I only have one stick of memory at a time. I'm not all flashy like that :p

Feb 21, 2019
I ended up replacing the GPU, and when that didn't fix the problem I tried replacing the mobo... costly decisions.... Now the computer is turning on and all, but the monitor is not receiving signal I think. When I turn the power on for the monitor it just shows "SCEPTRE" cuz it's Sceptre brand, and then it goes black.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Bgp7LJ
^This is the updated list of parts I am currently using. I also have an ASUS M5A878L-M mobo and Nvidia GeForce GTX 770.

Unlike the first mobo, the Radeon RX 580 has not beeped at me at all. I tried flipping the speaker in the other direction on the header and still no beeps. I have tried both memory sticks independently, and I have tried both GPU.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I went through that big list listing common mistakes, and I have gone through the installation guides for a few of the parts. I really need help. This is driving me crazy cuz I don't have a computer rn, and I really don't know what to do with all the extra parts.

*I am unsure what to do with "Power Fan Connector" but that's the only thing in the installation guides that's not connected to their spots right now.

I appreciate anybody's help, thank you. If this is more appropriate as a new thread, please let me know.