Question New Build - Please check components for compatibility

Sasitharan

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
Hi I'm Sasi,
I'm assembling a PC with the below components. I have some questions regarding RAM choice. Please feel free to comment on this. I'm getting my components mainly from Canada Computers and Amazon Canada .

Here is my part list:
Intel Core i5-11600K 6-Core 12-Thread Desktop Processor
ASUS TUF Gaming Z590-Plus LGA 1200 (Intel 11th/10th Gen) ATX
(I'm getting the processor and motherboard in a bundle for CAD 330)
Thermalright PeerlessAssassin120 SEARGB CPU Cooler - CAD 40
XPG 1TB GAMMIX S70 Blade - CAD 100

GPU choices:
ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 Twin Edge 12GB
MSI GeForce RTX 3060 VENTUS 2X 12G OC GDDR6

Power Supply choices:
MSI MPG A650F 650W 80+ GOLD FULLY MODULAR
MSI MPG A750GF – 750 WATT 80 PLUS GOLD CERTIFIED FULLY MODULAR
I also want to know whether going for non-modular PSU has any effect.

RAM Choices:
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz CL18 - CAD 60
Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600MHz CL19 - CAD 63
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz CL18 - CAD 40
TeamGroup T-FORCE DELTA RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz CL18 Black - CAD 60

I have no idea whether RGB looks good on a RAM. I'm not looking to overclock my PC but I want overclocking as a future option.

This is my first build. Please check if these components are compatible. Please let me know if this build is good for gaming and some casual 3D modelling and video editing.

what is your budget ?
do you also need a monitor ? if not which model do you want to use with this build (resolution , refresh rate) ?
330CAD (around 220 euro) is a tempting price for the combo , but it´s very outdated already and i would not advice to build a new pc around it .
as for the graphics card it would be better to step it up and get 3060Ti (if possible new revision with GDDR6X memory) which is a much faster card than basic rtx 3060 .

Sasitharan

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
what is your budget ?
do you also need a monitor ? if not which model do you want to use with this build (resolution , refresh rate) ?
330CAD (around 220 euro) is a tempting price for the combo , but it´s very outdated already and i would not advice to build a new pc around it .
as for the graphics card it would be better to step it up and get 3060Ti (if possible new revision with GDDR6X memory) which is a much faster card than basic rtx 3060 .

I already have old used monitor which i'm going to use until i save enough to buy a new one. Apart from the monitor my budget is around CAD 1200. I don't actually live in Canada, i'm just getting the CPU, motherboard, SSD and RAM from a friend in Canada. A 3060Ti is around CAD 200 more than a 3060 where i live.
Can you comment on the RAM and Power requirement.

if you can get 2x16gb 3600MHz cl16 for under a 100 it would be better
2x8gb is barely enough these days and the price difference between 2x8 and 2x16 is not that much (should not be that much)
what about the radeon graphics ? did you take a look at them ? 6600 xt and 6650xt are better than vanilla rtx 3060 and they often cost the same in some regions .
as for the power supply , for such mid range system even good quality 650w unit would do but you shoul always go for bit more than what you need right now
for possible upgrades in the future - it would help to know the selection of units you can get or if your friend can also send you a power supply from canada .
good units to give a few examples: corsair RMx , asus strix , adata core reactor , phanteks AMP , seasonic focus , MSI A GF ,
be quiet dark power 12/13 (they are more expensive though) .

Sasitharan

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
if you can get 2x16gb 3600MHz cl16 for under a 100 it would be better
2x8gb is barely enough these days and the price difference between 2x8 and 2x16 is not that much (should not be that much)
what about the radeon graphics ? did you take a look at them ? 6600 xt and 6650xt are better than vanilla rtx 3060 and they often cost the same in some regions .
as for the power supply , for such mid range system even good quality 650w unit would do but you shoul always go for bit more than what you need right now
for possible upgrades in the future - it would help to know the selection of units you can get or if your friend can also send you a power supply from canada .
good units to give a few examples: corsair RMx , asus strix , adata core reactor , phanteks AMP , seasonic focus , MSI A GF ,
be quiet dark power 12/13 (they are more expensive though) .

Computer hardware stores in my country are the following:
https://www.nanotek.lk/product/1897

You can check for PSUs and GPUs here.
I found a RTX6600 but it was a bit more expensive than the RTX3060. Isn't RTX ray tracing better for games and 3D anyway?
I'll try and purchase 32GB RAM... Is 2x16 or 4x8 better?

the best two components i was able to find on those 2 websites :
graphics card: https://www.gamestreet.lk/product_view.php?pid=MTUxMQ==
(it is much faster than rx 6600 or rtx 3060 - and if currency converter is right it should only be 100 euro more expensive
400 vs 500 (which is still a lot but it´s your best option) .
as for the power supply this is a good unit and it is also reasonably priced: https://www.gamestreet.lk/product_view.php?pid=MTE0OA==

ray tracing will significantly lower your performance even with cards like rtx 3060/3060Ti
(granted they are better optimized for it than older AMD cards but you should still avoid enabling it if you want to get the best performance)

Sasitharan

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
the best two components i was able to find on those 2 websites :
graphics card: https://www.gamestreet.lk/product_view.php?pid=MTUxMQ==
(it is much faster than rx 6600 or rtx 3060 - and if currency converter is right it should only be 100 euro more expensive
400 vs 500 (which is still a lot but it´s your best option) .
as for the power supply this is a good unit and it is also reasonably priced: https://www.gamestreet.lk/product_view.php?pid=MTE0OA==

ray tracing will significantly lower your performance even with cards like rtx 3060/3060Ti
(granted they are better optimized for it than older AMD cards but you should still avoid enabling it if you want to get the best performance)

I'm considering buying the RX 6700 XT as you suggested.
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_311_1326&item_id=196169
This the Cheapest 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 RAM i could find. I think i'll go with them. What are your comments?
Thanks for the PSU recommendation.

Sasitharan

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
ram that you found is good you can go with it .
Bro, I just have a question regarding the power supply.
Is the Corsair RM 850x a good PSU for first time building? I see it listed as one of the best PSUs, but people are complaining about something called in line capacitors.
I have a chance of buying this PSU from Canada...so I'm checking to see if it's good

it´s a great power supply in terms of overall build quality and longevity .
in line capacitors are inside the sleeved cables and are (in theory) designed to suppress any additional ripple
(whether it is useful or not is up for debate since power supply already has filtering caps inside it)
problem with those caps is that they make the cables bulkier , less flexible and harder to work with
in terms of cable management , that is a main complaint about them -
because they are not that useful or necessary for the performance of the power supply itself .
most of its owners would happily trade that "additional filtering feature"
for skinnier , easy to bend and easier to replace cables .

Last edited:

Sasitharan

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
in line capacitors are inside the sleeved cables and are (in theory) designed to suppress any additional ripple
(whether it is useful or not is up for debate since power supply already has filtering caps inside it)
problem with those caps is that they make the cables bulkier , less flexible and harder to work with
because they are not that useful or necessary for the performance of the power supply itself .
I think I better go with the MSI MPG A750GF then.

If there are any other PSUs worth checking out... Let me know

Sasitharan

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
What about Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 850W ATX v3.0? I'm not sure what ATX 3.0 means but the other features seem to be good enough. Tomshardware review has given it a 4 star rating. But i am concerned with whether the Pcie 5.0 cable would support my RX6700XT.

Sasitharan

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
Thank you bro.. I've ordered one
Hi Bro, i'm looking to buy a casing with good airflow.

My choices are:
1. ANTEC DF800 FLUX
https://www.nexxcom.lk/product/antec-df800-gaming-case/
2. ANTEC DF600
https://www.nexxcom.lk/product/antec-df600-dark-fleet/
3. SilverStone FARA R1
https://www.winsoft.lk/product/silv...lighting-tempered-glass-mid-tower-atx-casing/
4. Deepcool CC560 ARGB
https://www.winsoft.lk/product/deepcool-cc560-argb-casing/

If not, can you choose one from here (within 30,000.00).