[SOLVED] New Build - please help me with unknown ARGB Controller cables-nowhere to connect?

hq786

Commendable
Dec 4, 2017
New build PC Specs:
  1. ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Motherboard
  2. AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU + Ryzen Stealth Cooler
  3. Gigabyte GTX 1660 SUPER OC 6GB
  4. Corsair Vengeance 32GB RAM (16GBx2)
  5. 1TB Samsung 860 QVO SSD
  6. 256GB Integral M1 M.2 NVME 2280
  7. AeroCool Integrator MX600W PSU
  8. GameMax KamiKaze Pro MicroATX Case
My question is, I have connected all the cables to their required ports (mobo, cpu fan, 4pin psu atx, ssd, rgb controller sata power cable etc) The only cable I am left with, is split into 2 cables (1 of them is a VDG cable, other one is blank) with nowhere to install them on my motherboard. I have read the motherboard manual but no mention of it there. Can someone PLEASE HELP ME!!!

The case has 4 ARGB Fans and a fan and led controller on the back. Above 2 cables come from the bottom of the fan/led controller.

For the purpose of clearer pics, I removed the gfx card so all ports on bottom of motherboard can be seen.
https://ibb.co/1bRrBz7
https://ibb.co/BCxMsDP
https://ibb.co/85BVrGt
https://ibb.co/TwrJsmf
https://ibb.co/0FKyx72

Solution
You should be able to wire that up real easy then if you have not already it will be the reset switch cable that normally plugs into the motherboard, it will plug into your fan controller which seems to be what is in the picture already

If that is there and the fans power up and the lights come on i think you should be fine? plugging in one of the cables my be nescessay for PWM functions though, PWM allows you to control the rpm of the fans through software, so i would double check that on the instructions for the fans if they have that too

Mickieg1994

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
Adressable RGB requires a certain port on the motherboard, one connection should be power and the other addresses the RGB lighting, look for a port marked ARGB or JRAINBOW, if you don't have one or one that matches the pin layout on the connector then you are out of luck

Your motherboard needs to be compatible with this feature and it seems like yours is not unfortunately, usually they will be advertised with that feature in mind

hq786

Commendable
Dec 4, 2017
From what i can see, my motherboard doesn’t have it so now what do I do? is there maybe some adapter i can buy? i don’t want have to take apart everything and return the motherboard :(

Mickieg1994

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
You can power on the fans and use the pc but you will not be able to address the lights on the fans with software on the motherboard or windows, if they have have a remote control or something like that then they can still be used to change colours if they support that, maybe your fan controller supports an adapter to let you use the reset switch from your pc case to cycle RGB settings on the fans too, can be a work around

a motherboard with Asus Aura Sync or msi mystic light has some features that you need but you still need to be sure, when looking for fans for my motherboard i found it tricky, the manufacturers website will probably list compatible fans and motherboards and you will have to choose one of those

Don't replace the motherboard if you don't have to, replace the fans if you can, it will save you the hastle, cheap rgb fans can look quite good and come with a remote or can be wired into a reset button too or a remote controlled too

hq786

Commendable
Dec 4, 2017
The rgb controller on the case doesn’t come with a remote, the reset button next to the power button is suppose to switch the colours on the rgb fans.

I don’t mind keeping a fixed colour scheme on the fans if i can get it up and running but what should i do with the 2 cables? can i not plug the vdg one into a fan header or something

Mickieg1994

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
You should be able to wire that up real easy then if you have not already it will be the reset switch cable that normally plugs into the motherboard, it will plug into your fan controller which seems to be what is in the picture already

If that is there and the fans power up and the lights come on i think you should be fine? plugging in one of the cables my be nescessay for PWM functions though, PWM allows you to control the rpm of the fans through software, so i would double check that on the instructions for the fans if they have that too

Solution

hq786

Commendable
Dec 4, 2017
The 4 argb fans don’t power up. led’s sort of light up but not properly as intended. as the 2 cables from original post are still not plugged in. i just have no idea what to do. i will just have to take it apart and just get a different motherboard. as i want to keep the fans and the case

hq786

Commendable
Dec 4, 2017
Hi, quick update. I have ordered an AsRock B450M STEEL LEGEND AMD Motherboard that mentions it has has a 5v 3Pin LED Header.

Based on the problem in my OP, I would assume I should be able to successfully connect the 5v 3pin cable to the appropriate header on the motherboard and everything should work as expected right? with the VDG cable just be being left out as it’s not needed.

Can someone confirm that’s correct?