New build, plugged everything but no display. GPU problem?

Red0xrxn

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016
Hey guys,

Started building my first PC today, and I'm stuck. I plugged everything and I get no display. The fans (CPU cooler, GPU) work as soon as I plug it. My mobo is Gigabyte 970A-UD3P GPU: Radeon R9 290 8 gb RAM (2x4GB G SKILL F3-2400C11D-8GXM) CPU: AMD FX 8320E 3.2 Ghz Cooler master hyper 212 evo

I don't have a speaker for testing. I am pretty sure CPU was placed correctly. Screen is plugged in properly using DVI cable.

Could it be that my GPU is dead? I got it refurbished so I'm wondering if that's my problem...

Solution
The amount of times this problem has happened is more than I'd care to count, usually solved with a BIOS update or a change in power-supply.

Red0xrxn

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016
EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply.

I'll try and see if I can borrow a GPU to see if that's what the problem is. In the meantime, is there anything else that could be causing the problem that I am not aware of?

Red0xrxn

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016

I know the monitor works because I used it with my mac.
I tried another graphic card, and no display. Hence my problem is not the GPU (phew!)
I just read that my mobo required BIOS update to be compatible with my CPU...How am I supposed to update BIOS with no display?! Time for some intensive googling...