Question New Build POST Issues

jbm715

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
I recently built a new SFF pc. Got it working. Installed Windows, was downloading games, etc. I'm not too familar with how "fast boot" works, but I wanted to get back to the bios to make some changes. Every restart went back to Windows pretty quickly. So I thought I'd try shutting down, then starting it back up. So I shutdown. Waited about 10 seconds and tried to power back on. The lights came back on but no video output. I tried restarting a number of times without that working.

I installed a mobo speaker. As of now if I try to boot I get no beeps. If I unplug the GPU from the power supply I get 5 beeps. Can't tell if they are long or short. I tried shorting the CMOS jumper. That didn' t help. What should I try at this point?

Thanks!

jbm715

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
Thanks for the response. I knew that ahead of time but thought it would be ok. I replaced the PSU with a brand new 650W version of the PSU. Same exact issue.

Not sure where to go. I cleaned and reseated the CPU just to make sure that wasn't an issue.

jbm715

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
I breadboarded, reseated the ram, and cleared CMOS. When turning it on the motherboard did turn itself on and off again after the reset CMOS. No POST beeps at all as long as the GPU is plugged in. Get 5 short beeps which the gigabyte website says is a "cpu error". The pins aren't bent. Again this was working for a short time.

Is it worth returning the motherboard or is there anything else I can try?

TRENDING THREADS