Question New build POSTs but locks up when I try to run anything ?

jsvg00

Honorable
Aug 17, 2016
I have a serious problem with a new build that is testing my sanity.

cpu - Pentium Gold G-6400 Desktop Processor 2 Cores 4.0 GHz LGA1200
cooler - stock intel
motherboard - ASUS Prime B560M-A LGA 1200 (using HDMI out for video)
ram - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)
psu - Corsair M550x 80 Plus Gold
storage - Samsung ssd 980 m.2 drive 500GB
case - Cooler Master N200

BTW this is my first build in 25 years...

I assembled everything and it boots to the bios. I noticed the dram status was off spec:
corsair 8192MB 2133mhz @ 1.2v (typical asus stock speeds).

I then selected XMP profile 1 (asus defaults for this ram) and it brings up the correct 16-18-18-36 1.35v. Everything else is left at stock. I save and reboot. I stick a bootable thumb drive with some diagnostic apps on it so I can run MEMTEST and every time it goes to load the program off the drive it crashes. The Asus logo flashes then the screen goes to sleep and the fans are cranked to max.

Tried 3 different sticks which I also tested on 2 other PC's and they worked fine. I also tried each USB port on the new build with each stick (btw usb mouse works fine). So I gave up on my memory testing.

I tried a Linux mint installation thumbdrive and it managed to boot to the text based Linux options menu. I select install Linux - then boom dead screen crash/fans. So I tried again and this time selected Linux compatibility mode, and to my surprise I managed to go through the installation process. I rebooted - then dead screen crash/fans. My bios says my m.2 (with Linux) is the only bootable drive. Every time I boot to it, the PC crashes.

I tried XMP1 and XMP2. I now have XMP disabled, stock everything. I tried enabling Windows mode UEFI (instead of other OS). I tried disabling secure boot by deleting the PK security keys. I have since restored them.

I've also tried every possible seating position for each individual stick of ram and as a pair.

This is driving me crazy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ralston18

Titan

jsvg00

Honorable
Aug 17, 2016
Is that Corsair M550x 80 Plus Gold new? Modular - correct? Did you use any cables from other PSUs?

This motherboard?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1200/PRIME_B560M-A/E18905_PRIME_B560M-A_v2_UM_WEB.pdf

{Be sure to verify that I found the applicable User Manual.]

Confirm that the installed memory is indeed supported by the motherboard. As noted on Pages vi and 1-9 go to the Asus website and the memory QVL.

The Corsair power supply is brand new and I used the modular cables that it came with.

Yes that is my motherboard/manual.

The RAM is on the QVL:
CORSAIR CMK16GX4M2B3200C16(Ver4.24) 2x 8GB 3200 3200 DS Samsung 16-18-18-36 1.35 1,2
I'm not sure if mine are version 4.24 but they are brand new.

Thanks for your help.

jsvg00

Honorable
Aug 17, 2016
Are you certain that the heatsink/fan is securely fastened to the CPU?
I installed it on top of the motherboard box and pushed the pins through diagonally 2 at a time. They poked though and clicked. I just checked each peg individually by pushing on them to see if they would go further or click some more. They did not. There is no wiggle in the heatsink.

I don't know if this is normal, but there was no sticker/tape over the grey paste spot when I took it out of the box. Could the paste have gone bad?

Thanks.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I installed it on top of the motherboard box and pushed the pins through diagonally 2 at a time. They poked though and clicked. I just checked each peg individually by pushing on them to see if they would go further or click some more. They did not. There is no wiggle in the heatsink.

I don't know if this is normal, but there was no sticker/tape over the grey paste spot when I took it out of the box. Could the paste have gone bad?

Thanks.
It is probably okay.

Before you installed the CPU, did you inspect the socket for bent/damaged/missing pins?

jsvg00

Honorable
Aug 17, 2016
This is baffling. If any one of these ideas were the culprit you would predict that the PC wouldn't post. I had it running for 5 hours straight on the BIOS screen waiting for it to crash. It did not. All the temperatures were below 24'C (CPU). If one of the parts was DOA, then why was I able to install Linux in compatibility mode without crashing ? Why can't I run memtest off the same thumbdrive in the same USB port? Crazy stuff...

jsvg00

Honorable
Aug 17, 2016
Any lit Q-LEDs? (Reference #20 at the top of Page 1-6)

Will the system boot into safe mode?

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However any voltages out of tolerance would make the PSU (even if new) suspect.

Thanks for the Q-LED tip. The green one at the top stayed lit. I went to the ASUS website and apparently it is a boot problem which can be remedied by checking my drive connections. I only have an M2 drive so I took it out, looked at it, and put it back in. Same crash problem occurred again when I tried to boot off it. I removed it again but this time I pulled off the sticky ASUS supplied heatsink and re-installed it bare. Wouldn't you know it, the drive is now working and I can boot into Linux. It ran perfectly without any problems. The major problem is solved.

Big thanks for everyone's help.

BTW. I tested the heatsink again, this time without screwing it to the board, just squished against the m2 drive and it crashed when I rebooted.

crazy stuff.

jsvg00

Honorable
Aug 17, 2016
you mean the heatsink from the motherboard? interesting
Yes the little silver rectangular (aluminum maybe) heatsink that came with the motherboard. My brother stopped by today for a visit and I told him about everything. He examined the heatsink and noticed what he thinks are little strands of steel wool like fibres stuck to the green tacky surface. I have know idea where they came from.

jsvg00

Honorable
Aug 17, 2016
bad quality control. if you want to try. clean that off and put the heatsink on again.
I don't want to take the chance, given how lucky I was in not frying the drive to begin with. Besides, I don't think its needed. The computer is just going to be used for storing backups. Other than booting the OS, the m2 drive won't be used at all.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Reactions: rgd1101