[SOLVED] New Build Powers Off Under Any Stress

werther595

Prominent
Aug 29, 2020
pcpartpicker.com
I recently built a PC for light-midlevel gaming. Parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/cc4nTW

Got through assembly, updated BIOS for the mobo, Windows install (Home, x64), drivers install, and applied XMP in BIOS for RAM. Installed Minecraft and let the kid start playing. About 1 min in and click powered off and restarted. Tried again right away with the same result.

CPU temps were a little high but not crazy. 45-55 degrees resting, up to 80+ under load. Tried some diagnostic tests. Anything with a "stress test" where the CPU got to about 85 it would shut off and an again. Windows was set to "balanced" power profile and Ryzen Master was on "Default."

I turned off XMP, and it seemed to work better. Could play some Minecraft. Tried to find a good configuration using Ryzen DRAM Calculator. Tried the MEMbench function there and... powered off/on.

Case seems to have good airflow w 6 case fans, stock cooler spins up to 2700 no prob, just used the pre-applied thermal paste that came with the CPU, cool ambient temps.

I've read a bunch of similar posts here and elsewhere. Cheap PSU issues seem to be the main suggestion. I didn't go too cheap there, and 500W SEEMS adequate. I've also read about all kinds of Ryzen overheating issues, voltage issues etc. Would that be a problem if we aren't even overclocking at all?

I'm stuck! Any suggestions?

[R5 3600; ASRock B550M PRO4; OLOy Warhawk 3600Mhz CL18; XPG Spectrix s40g NVME SSD; ASRock PG RX5500XT; EVGA 80+ Bronze PSU]

Solution
No yellow warnings in device manager. When I tried updating drivers, I had the same issue with both the CPU and GPU (both AMD...R3600; RX5500XT) in that the website said "Download Drivers" but the download was actually software. Ryzen Master for the CPU and Radeon for the GPU. I assumed there was a driver install that happened as part f the software package, but I'm not positive since it wasn't an obvious step

I just tried "AMD Ryzen High Performance" in the power settings to see how that goes. We'll see. The kid played Minecraft for about 30 mins before the system shut down, but that is with no XMP on the RAM so it is operating at half of its listed speed
Did you download your RX5500XT drivers from the AMD website? Did you try...

werther595

Prominent
Aug 29, 2020
pcpartpicker.com
Try setting Windows Power Options to "High performance". Power saving features in Windows are only useful for conserving battery power in laptops.
Have you checked for any yellow warning signs in Device Manager?
No yellow warnings in device manager. When I tried updating drivers, I had the same issue with both the CPU and GPU (both AMD...R3600; RX5500XT) in that the website said "Download Drivers" but the download was actually software. Ryzen Master for the CPU and Radeon for the GPU. I assumed there was a driver install that happened as part f the software package, but I'm not positive since it wasn't an obvious step

I just tried "AMD Ryzen High Performance" in the power settings to see how that goes. We'll see. The kid played Minecraft for about 30 mins before the system shut down, but that is with no XMP on the RAM so it is operating at half of its listed speed

Did you download your RX5500XT drivers from the AMD website? Did you try choosing the 4th option "Auto-Detect and Install"?

Solution

werther595

Prominent
Aug 29, 2020
pcpartpicker.com
Did you download your RX5500XT drivers from the AMD website? Did you try choosing the 4th option "Auto-Detect and Install"?
Just tried that one, and it definitely updated the driver. It also let me fully update the Radeon software. I also feel both embarrassed for not trying all of the listed options and grateful for your help. I'll run the stress tests again later and see if this solved it. Fingers crossed. Thanks so much!!

Reactions: rocktalkrock
Yup. I feel foolish, but that did the trick. I thought that fourth option was just a stripped down version of the software packages above it. Lesson learned. Thanks for the answer, and for not making it sting too badly when delivered!
No reason to feel foolish, that's what the forum is for. Glad to hear your PC is working properly, hopefully you can re-enable XMP for your RAM once again.