[SOLVED] New build powers on, fans twitch, CPU red light comes on, then all power off immediately ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 5, 2022
I just finished putting my first build together. I’m very excited to get moving on the software side, but I ran into a problem. I plugged the power in, then hit the power button and the fans twitched, then everything shut down. Sometimes it will power cycle again a few seconds later. So far I’ve tried a few things but I’m stuck now.

I have removed GPU, CPU cooler and fans.

I’ve removed and reinstalled ram and CPU.

I’ve done the PSU paper clip test and the PSU fan spins fine.

I’ve reseated each cable,

Now, with no fans, as soon as I hit the power button on the case, the red CPU light comes on then fades away. Any other ideas?

Hardware:
CPU i5-12600k
GPU MSI GeForce 2080
Mobo MSI Mag Tomahawk Z690 DDR4 Wi-Fi
Ram gskill 3200 2x16
SSD 500gb 980evo nvme m.2
CPU cooler ak620
PSU PowerSpec PSX 750GSM
Case Musetex

jeremy0118

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2016
Inspect the socket when you remove the cpu

Make sure no motherboard standoff screw is in the wrong spot, potentially causing a short.

Make sure the 24 pin is secured all the way by visual confirmation. it can be a rough fit.

I would first suspect the psu and then the motherboard if these things dont work. tho its an elimination process. the paperclip method doesnt proof much.

Also sicce your cpu has built in graphics get it to work without the gpu first thats one less component to worry about diagnosing.

I dont see a powerspec psu on the tier list.
Correction: its in the C tier. concidering its a 95 bucks unit you couldve easily gotten a B tier for that with the same wattage, tho it should still be fine.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022
I’ve inspected the cpu socket. It looks perfect. I have already removed the GPU. The 24 pin connector looked fine, but I went ahead and reseated it anyway. I don’t have an extra PSU over 300watts. I guess I will have to purchase one and try it out? The PSU and the motherboard were purchased at microcenter. PowerSpec is their house brand. The rep working with me mentioned it was the brand he used on most of his own builds. The motherboard was an open box unit they had, so I guess it’s possible that is faulty. Is there a way to diagnose other than replacing each one and seeing which one fixes it?

jeremy0118

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2016
you can use the 300w just fine without the gpu for testing purposes, use the onboard graphics! eliminates the board. it wont reach 300w ever. its not running prime 95. its litteraly just to test wether the board functions, wont even use 100.. that would leave the board being faulty, it being open box adds even more weight to that. hope microcenter has good warranty on openbox items. let me know how it ended

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022
So a few days late, but I have good news. I was coming close to the 15 day return window on the mobo. I thought I had a small power supply to try on the board but I couldn’t find anything in my supplies that had the standard atx connector. I ended up returning it to microcenter and they were very accommodating even though I did not purchase the extra insurance on it. I ended up applying that open box credit to a new board. Got home and plugged everything in. It booted right up with no problem. I appreciate the heads up concerning the power supply. I think I will end up looking into something higher up on the tier hierarchy to protect this build. Thanks again for all your help with this. Lesson learned on the open box deals, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.