[SOLVED] New build powers on for a second then turns off. Could it be CPU MoBo Incompatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 3, 2020
Hey, guys. Hoping for a little advice...

I've done about a dozen or so successful builds, so I'm not a total novice, but today I ran into a problem I've never encountered.

After getting my new build assembled, I pushed the power button and it powered on for a second or two then turned off. I did some searching and found a few suggestions. I tried resetting the CMOS, checked all of my connections (yes, I remembered the 4 pin power), reseated the ram... nothing helped.
All of the components are brand new except for the motherboard. It's an ASUS Prime Z370-A. The CPU is an i5-9400. I now know that some Z370-A motherboards require a BIOS update to work with 9th gen CPUs , so I suspected that might be the problem, but would that cause the symptoms that I am seeing? I don't know what happens when you try to combine a CPU with an incompatible motherboard. Would it cause this power issue? From what I have read, it usually results in a black screen, not a loss of power, but I couldn't find a whole lot on the subject.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out how likely it is that MoBo/CPU incompatibility is the issue. If it's pretty likely, then I'll get an 8th gen CPU and try that, but I don't want to go to that trouble and expense if the power issue I'm having isn't a symptom of that incompatibility.

If anyone has experience with this sort of thing and can tell me what I'm dealing with, I would GREATLY appreciate it. Thanks!!!!!!

SPECS
ASUS Prime Z370-A
i5-9400
MSI GTX 1660 Ventus SX
Geil Super Luce 3200mhz RGB RAM
500 watt EVGA PSU
Team Group 256gb M.2 SSD
Phanteks Metallic Gear Neo Air Case

Status
Not open for further replies.