[SOLVED] New build powers up, nothing on screen.

Saint Grimm

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
I've just about had it with this build.... You may have seen my post here where the asrock x470 powered up, then back down within 30 seconds:

It turned out that Newegg was selling the board as Ryzen 3000 ready, when it was not. So I got an ASUS TUF x570 board. Just got here today, hooked up everything and it powers on. The LEDs show no sign of error, the book claims the mobo will beep for errors when booting, there are no beeps and the LEDs continue to change (the book says it will remain a specific color if something is wrong with a specific part).

Even though everything I read said all the parts I have are compatible, the GPU sits right over the chipset fan. I tried moving it to the 2nd PCIE 16 slot, with the same result (book doesn't say it specifically, but it says the PCIE2 is N/A when using a single GPU, so I assume it HAS to be in the top slot.

I tried 2 different CPUs, 2 different memory 8gb sticks, 2 different GPUs and it still shows nothing on display....

Edit: You can find links to the exact parts on the link I included at the top for my last post/

CPU: Ryzen 5 3000
Mobo: ASUS TUF Gaming x570
GPU: Windsong Geforce GTX1660 Ti
Memory: G.Skill 3200Mhz 8gb x2
PSU: Seasonic 80+ Gold 750W

Saint Grimm

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
hdmi, please refer to other post for links to the exact psu. I've got <Mod Edit> disconnected and strung all over, I can't easily copy and paste links atm.

Last edited by a moderator:

Saint Grimm

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
cpu fan, gpu fans and chipset fan is NOT running when it powers up.

Right now, all I have is the mobo sitting on it's box, RAM plugged in to the correct slot, CPU placed, CPU fan plugged in (but not placed over CPU, just sitting to the side on a box), GPU plugged into PCIEx16_1. The PSU is plugged into the 8-pin atx, mobo power plugged in, GPU plugged in.

Saint Grimm

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
I guess I'll power this one down and rip the GPU out and see if maybe newegg sent me 2 bad gpu's..... Last time I built a PC they sent me 4 bad HDDs in a row (finally got one at best buy) and this time they sent me 2 motherboards that weren't compatible with the CPU that was IN the product description... If you click the link to the mobo in previous post, it says "Ryzen seris cpu 3000 ready!" right in the product title + description... But it comes with 3.20 bios, not 3.30 that is needed.... So I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if they sent me more bad parts....

Saint Grimm

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
Put my GTX960 in and got the same result, no display. Put the 960 back in this PC so I can try to get help; but it seems like it's probably not the GPU.

EDIT: After some research, I've found this board needs more than the asrock to power up. When it's just naked like this, the pins need to be bridged... I'm not comfortable with doing that, I've never bridged pins before. So after I eat dinner I'm going to try fully building it and putting the power button on the pins to see if it will boot. Apparently this board wasn't even booting...

The Asrock had fans come on and everything (this board does not) however it shut off within 30 seconds (fully built, with power button pins active) and to test it I read to only hook up certain parts and see if it did the same thing (which it did because it wasn't compatible with the CPU) but this board needs those pins in order to power everything up.

I'll edit further after I test this out.

Last edited:

Saint Grimm

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
The problem was this board doesn't have any way to turn on power without the power switch jumpers or bridging it manually. I don't trust myself to do it manually and I'dprobably end up breaking a pin off so I went ahead and fully built it into the case and hooked up the jumpers and it's booting to bios. Silly mistake, but in my def. last time I built a PC was like 5 years ago lol.