New Build Problem

DeanO_TopaZ

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
Hi, I recently built a new computer yesterday with the help of a friend. The build went fine and the computer ran for a good amount of time with no excessive noise or any problems. After about 3 hours the screen went black and the computer made alot of clicking noise. I switched the computer itself off by the power button and when it was off I noticed a weird metallic smell coming from the computer. It starts as normal after been left for a while but i am afraid that i will break something and do not want to continue until the problem is solved. The parts i used are:

Motherboard: Asus A88XM-PLUS

CPU: AMD QUAD CORE A10-770K BLACK EDITION

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance

GPU: ASUS Geforce GTX 760 2048MB GDDR5

PSU: 500W PSU came free with case

FANS: Small fan at back that came with case. AF 120 Quiet Edition at front of case.

Solution
The first thing to do imo is getting a decent psu.

To get an idea when on a budget,
http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/compare/corsair-power-supply-cx600m%2Cevga-power-supply-100b10500kr%2Cxfx-power-supply-p1550sxxb9/
if these aren't sold where you live the antec vp 550watt for instance.

Barney6262

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
Hi. Usually clicking noises are a sign of failing hard drives. It is possible your hard drive is damaged.
Please tell use what hard drive you use and use a program such as 'hard drive sentinel' to see if your hard drive is registering any issues. Also listen to the hard drive and see if it is making grinding, clicking or buzzing noises.

Alternatively it could be something hit a fan. Check that all the fans are clear from obstruction and all are spinning normally (no exteme vibration).

DeanO_TopaZ

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014

Hi thanks for replying, I forgot to mention the hard drive, It's a 1tb sata drive and I got it second hand. But can that explain the smell and the black screen? I'm pretty new to PC building so I don't really know the right questions to ask. Thank you

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
The click and more important smell point imo more to the psu that came with the case.
Can you check if the smell comes from there? (exhaust)
Psu's coming with cases are often low end and with a gtx 760 you probably don't get enough power.
Did it have the right connectors or did you have to use adapters?

Barney6262

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013

Good point^

Did the clicking sound anything like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH-7-JF24lY
If the noise is coming from the power supply I would recommend replacing it...

DeanO_TopaZ

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
I had to get adapters, the smell only happened after the screen went black and I turned it off. I'm afraid that if I let it get to that point again that I may destroy the other parts before I find where the problem is.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
The first thing to do imo is getting a decent psu.

To get an idea when on a budget,
http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/compare/corsair-power-supply-cx600m%2Cevga-power-supply-100b10500kr%2Cxfx-power-supply-p1550sxxb9/
if these aren't sold where you live the antec vp 550watt for instance.

Solution