fwwright

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
Hello All,
I am in the process of building a medium range home system and am having what looks like a power related problem.

I purchased: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ AM2 CPU Black
OCZ SLI 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
XFX GeForce 8200 MCP Socket AM2+
SAMSUNG 500GB SERIAL ATA HD
Apevia 680W Iceberg Aluminum PSU w/ Blue
Lite-ON DVDRW 20X SATA w/Lightscribe

When I try and load Windows XP Professional it seems that the system "hangs". I tried manually playing around with the Processor Voltage = 1.3V, DRAM = +0.2V, and Chipset Voltage = +0.09V in the BIOS and found these settings to be the most stable.

When I finally get to where the hard drive is being loaded with the files, the system hangs at various points in the load. I tried to unplug the power to the DVD Drive and the system will pick up with the load where it left off. Its not only the DVD, but it is also the hard drive. Both drives are SATA drives.

It seems that this is either a MoBo problem, or a power supply problem. I metered the power supply voltages and they seem to be fine, but if something is happening extremely quick, it could be hanging the MoBo. Also, to reset the "hang", I can just reset the system. I don't need to unplug the SATA power to the DVD or hard drive to reset. So, it seems to me that this is a MoBo hang on the SATA ports.

So, do you think it is a MoBo or power supply problem, or something else. Thanks.

fwwright

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
r-sky,
Thanks for the respnse... But, since I am kinda new at this, how can I run memtest86 when I can't even get an OS loaded on the hard drive? Thanks.

fwwright

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
Hi Roadrunner,
So, how do I test the hard drive? I am seeing the same problem with the hard drive as I am with the DVD drive. So, I don't think its the hard drive, But I'll test it if you tell me how. Thanks.

fwwright

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
All,
Couple questions.. How long does MEMTEST86 take to complete an entire run? Also, does this package test everything (MoBo, SATA communications to DVD & HD, HD Testing, etc.) or are there other freeware programs out there that are good, and what are they?

Thanks in advance.. I really appreciate all the help. Later.

purestone

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
The instructions for this mobo small power cables from your power switch is wrong the power switch and power led are backwards in the instructions thats one problem switch them.
The other is win xp pro needs service pack2 or 3 to load on this motherboard. Also get all the mobo driver updates from XFX makes a big difference you will have to register at the web site .
I have this mobo and the first one I got was DOA.Got it replaced and the new one seems to run fine for how long that will last who knows there been alot complaints about motherboard I will not buy another mobo from XFX again! Stick with there vid cards they are cheap and solid

Purestone