Question New Build Problems - DVD Drive/Win 10 Pro

Sep 16, 2019
Hello everyone.

First time posting, and I am extremely new at this, so forgive me if i do not use all the right jargon. And also the lengthy post.
I recently built a gaming PC. My old HP is about 10 years old, and there was an actual spider living inside of it. Good times.
Anyway, I decided it was time to get a new one, and my oldest son suggested I build one. A buddy helped me put it together.
I looked up some recommendations over at Logical Increments and below are the components I used.

OS Windows 10 Pro
GPU XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 3700X
HSF be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Mobo ASRock X570 STEEL LEGEND AM4 AMD X570 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard
RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Boot Drive WD Green 120GB PC SSD - SATA III
HDD WD RE4 WD2003FYYS 2TB
SSD Intel Solid State Drive (SSD)
PSU EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3
Optical Drive Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal

All parts brand new, nothing used that I am aware of. Mostly from Amazon and Newegg. The CPU was from Best Buy.
If I understand correctly - Microsoft's Media Center is now something that one has to purchase. So it is not included in Win 10.
I updated Windows 10 Pro. I went to Device Manager and updated all the drivers.

Below are most of the software programs that I installed after the drivers- some via Ninite:
Firefox
LibreOffice
Kapersky free, Panda Dome free, and Glary Utilities free.
7-Zip. Skype. Dropbox. OneDrive.
No Runtimes at all, since I really do not know if I need them. Nor which ones to install for that matter.
IObit Unistaller

Both the MoBo and the OD came with CD/DVD's. I ran them. Those seem to have played fine. And ended up installing some of the features included therein. And then uninstalling most, since they seemed unnecessary.

Everything went well, mostly. But the Optical Drive is not 'playing' discs automatically. Or at all it seems. Music CD's, DVD's, and most importantly
a DVD-ROM install disc for a video game (The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Complete - I've heard it is good).

I was able to have the music CD's play by clicking on individual tracks once the CD is 'Opened' manually. As for DVD's, I downloaded VLC to play
the movie. So, while annoying, this is doable. But the videogame install was weird. The disc 'Opened' - so i could see the files in disc 1. But when I clicked on the .exe file, the drive just made noise, and it looked like it was trying to read the disc. But nothing more that that.

I tried a really old PC CD ROM disc for a 2001 game. And it would not even open.

I have retried to update the OD's drives. And also Windows 10 Pro says it is updated.

I'm running things as an administrator. There is no '?' symbol in the Device Manager next to the OD.
And No error messages.

I did try to download the Kodi software program from their site and also from the Microsoft store.
When I tried to run it it did give me an error message:

ERROR: Unable to create GUI. Exiting

That's about it. Is the OD busted? Or missing something, a program or extra update? I have been researching this for the last 3 nights.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

MM

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS