New build. Question: MBO or powersupply dead?

fireflyva

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Hello,
I just installed a new MBO MSi A75A -G35 and installed new power supply, and plugged in power connection to MBO. Nothing happens when I turn it on. I performed the paperclip test on the power supply and the fan turned which it did not do when plugged into the MBO. However, I have no lights anywhere that are lit. Question: how do you know if it is the power supply or motherboard which is the problem?

I don't know if I am in the correct forum so if I need to be moved please do so.

Thanks.

Solution

fireflyva

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012

No, I guess not. My power supply came with a 24 pin connector but not a 4 pin connector in the configuration that the MBO has listed. I do not have a 4 pin connector from the power supply in the orientation that is listed on the MBO diagram. I "assumed" that the 24 pin connector was the only power supply connection needed to the MBO. Is there supposed to be a 4 pin connector as well as the 24 piece power supply connector?

Thanks for your help.

Yes, it is, otherwise the CPU doesn't work. I assume that the CPU fan does not spin. What's the model of the power supply?

fireflyva

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012

Solution

fireflyva

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012

Alexoiu -

Thank for the information. It worked just as you said. I also found a few other problems along the way I was able to repair but your advice took care of the problem. It is up and running well now. Thanks again.