New build question

tdn

Honorable
Apr 25, 2014
So I'm finishing up picking all my parts up from microcenter/waiting for a few to arrive from amazon/newegg.. I'm really wanting to go all out with a custom loop for cooling but I want to make sure all my parts aren't DoA and I can post.. should I pick up a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO so I can test the CPU/mobo? or buy an AIO like the kraken x62 to use for a few months?

I'm not in a RUSH to get this up and running because my current system is fine but I held off on buy a GPU because of the 1080ti so I would have to take out one of my SLI cards to even get the PC running fully until the 1080ti is released.

I would just pick up the everything needed for the custom loop for the CPU only and expand once I get the card but I would rather not have to flush in a month or two when I can get the 1080ti waterblock.. so I'm stuck deciding weather to buy a cheap cooler to test my new stuff... or to finish the build temp with an AIO until I get the new GPU and the parts needed to cool it are released?

Solution
could also set up your custom loop for just the cpu

putting 2 quick connects/disconnects in the loop where the gpu would be

then once you get a 1080ti with waterblock you can add it to the loop with out having to drain down

would just have to add a bit more coolant to allow for filling the gpu block

and yes after amds live stream earlier which didnt give much away i am hoping nvidia didnt have a plan A and plan B

in case amd showed off something great they could plan A release TI cards

or if amd didnt give much away resort to plan B and not announce TI cards today but keep them for when amd announces something to compete with them

tdn

Honorable
Apr 25, 2014

Yeah.. didn't come with the stock cooler. I figured if I had I bought an AIO I would transfer it to another PC when I no longer needed it.

Might just go with a cheap air cooler to post - hoping for some good news tonight from nvidia :)

could also set up your custom loop for just the cpu

putting 2 quick connects/disconnects in the loop where the gpu would be

then once you get a 1080ti with waterblock you can add it to the loop with out having to drain down

would just have to add a bit more coolant to allow for filling the gpu block

and yes after amds live stream earlier which didnt give much away i am hoping nvidia didnt have a plan A and plan B

in case amd showed off something great they could plan A release TI cards

or if amd didnt give much away resort to plan B and not announce TI cards today but keep them for when amd announces something to compete with them

Solution

gondo

Distinguished
The coolermaster for example would allow an overclock. Those Intels don't heat up very much and are quite capable on air. Go cheap and reliable as a backup in case your water or a component dies and you need a quick backup to get you out of a jam.

tdn

Honorable
Apr 25, 2014

Looks like we won't have to wait long after all! *cheers*

you are welcome

yes quick connects/disconnects add a bit to the price

but they are so useful

and dont forget a drain port at the lowest point in your loop you can fit one

surprising how many people dont think off the drain point when they build a custom loop

and one more tip--and excuse me if you already knew or considered these ideas

if getting a top mounted radiator get one with more than 2 ports

couple reasons for that

1--its the highest point in the loop so filling the loop from the top rad is ideal gravity takes the coolant down for you

2--when draining it makes it much faster and less likely you will get pockets of fluid left because once you open your drain valve then open the port on the top rad again gravity makes it just pour out--without an opening in the top rad it can be surprisingly hard to get all the coolant out--but that opening prevents air locks especially as its at the top of the loop i tried loads of configs could never get all the coolant out--but got it like that now and it literally empties in under 10 seconds and all the coolant does come out

TRENDING THREADS