SOCH330

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
For gamming purposes I am wondering what numbers I should weigh more heavly than others. for a cpu and mobo. because the parts I have my eyes on are > than the recomended builds for gamming so im just wondering if I am missing something.

AMD FX-4170
BIOSTAR TA990FXE AM3+ AMD 990FX
both for $270

but I keep seeing other budget builds spending the same and not even near the same numbers that I see

Solution
The FX processors aren't that great and they have a lot of compatibility problems that no other processor type has.

It is an FX slot and you would think that if you just bought a motherboard that says FX on it that it would work, but unlike every other processor it isn't that simple with FX.

Its quite often that a FX board doesn't even recognize a FX processor.

I usually just suggest to stay away from FX because of all the problems with them. They flopped in the marketplace for a few reasons, most of which were good ones.

For processor + motherboard I would suggest you get an i5-2400 and a Gigabyte 1155 motherboard in the $90 - $125 range.

- Edit - Those two things I said should come to about the same $270.

That would be a whole...
The FX processors aren't that great and they have a lot of compatibility problems that no other processor type has.

It is an FX slot and you would think that if you just bought a motherboard that says FX on it that it would work, but unlike every other processor it isn't that simple with FX.

Its quite often that a FX board doesn't even recognize a FX processor.

I usually just suggest to stay away from FX because of all the problems with them. They flopped in the marketplace for a few reasons, most of which were good ones.

For processor + motherboard I would suggest you get an i5-2400 and a Gigabyte 1155 motherboard in the $90 - $125 range.

- Edit - Those two things I said should come to about the same $270.

That would be a whole lot more powerful, it would make less heat, use less power, and the motherboard is guaranteed to recognize the processor from the moment you plug it in.

Solution