New build ram question

cdeez

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Hey guys i know something like my question has been answered but new information and price changes constantly has an influence.

so i just purchased a 8700k with a Asus z370-I strix MB

looking into either 3000 or 3200 x 8b = total 16gb for a small OC with xmp profiles . What do you guys like anyone have any good recommendations,stability over looks is what I am looking for

Solution
Intel processors are not very dependent on ram speeds for real app performance.
Higher speed comes with higher latency, reducing some of the speed benefits.

All ram past 2400(mostly) is technically overclocked and runs at the advertised speed via the XMP profile.
Do not plan on exceeding whatever XMP allows.
You might get lucky, but ram binned capable of faster speeds will be sold at the higher speeds.

3000 or 3200 speed is fine.

If you are paranoid about stability, buy higher/better binned ram and run it at less speed.
3600 speed run at 3200 for example.
Is the oc referring to xmp or oc beyond xmp?
Personally, I don’t suggest oc 3000-3200 memory beyond xmp, for few reasons.

Memory are binned quite aggressively these days, unless you find some old Samsung bdie or oc it with a very high voltage, likely, it’s not going to be stable.

Again, going back to the dram chip. Unless you are getting a Samsung b die, Hynix and micron will have issues at either tight timing at 3200 or going beyond 3200 mark. You can get those 3200cl14 chip, but they are not that much cheaper than the 3600cl16 kit.

Intel processors are not very dependent on ram speeds for real app performance.
Higher speed comes with higher latency, reducing some of the speed benefits.

All ram past 2400(mostly) is technically overclocked and runs at the advertised speed via the XMP profile.
Do not plan on exceeding whatever XMP allows.
You might get lucky, but ram binned capable of faster speeds will be sold at the higher speeds.

3000 or 3200 speed is fine.

If you are paranoid about stability, buy higher/better binned ram and run it at less speed.
3600 speed run at 3200 for example.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS