[SOLVED] New build random game freezes

ryan.d.koepke

Honorable
Jan 23, 2019
I recently built a new system, 9700k, 2080 ti, 16gb 3200 ram. Everything seemed fine played 70 hours of Kingdom Come without issue, then purchased Resident Evil 2 and had random freezes that occured anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour, it would freeze like it was going to crash, I could hear the GPU fan spin down as GPU usage dropped off then it would unfreeze. Tried another set of RAM with the same issue. At this point I figured it was the game, played Metro Exodus for about 8 hours with no issues, now today I boot it up and it does the same thing in this game every 10-30 minutes.

Temperatures are very low, prime runs stable over 72 hours, no graphical artifacting.

At this point I'm thinking one of my components is DOA but I have no idea what to try or how to test further. It is possible this is a game issue as Metro received a new patch today, however it's pretty unlikely 2 games have the same problem.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

Solution
If a heavy game worked fine for 70 hours, other games should do as well. It's probably the games that use resources incorrectly. I'd suggest reporting this to driver developers or GPU manufacturers, so they could give you more info on this. Give them logs, or something.
Also what's your PSU? Maybe it doesn't deliver enough power to your beastly components.

Zackyy

Commendable
Apr 24, 2017
If a heavy game worked fine for 70 hours, other games should do as well. It's probably the games that use resources incorrectly. I'd suggest reporting this to driver developers or GPU manufacturers, so they could give you more info on this. Give them logs, or something.
Also what's your PSU? Maybe it doesn't deliver enough power to your beastly components.

Solution

ryan.d.koepke

Honorable
Jan 23, 2019
I was running a Corsair 750 however it was having some coil whine during certain situations, so I replaced it with a Corsair HX1000 and that was fixed.

Kingdom Come is probably the most resource intensive game on the market right now. I have a feeling it might be due to Denuvo copy protection, as both Metro and RE2 utilize this.

Thank you.

THEearthISFLAT

Upstanding
Feb 16, 2019
I would start with a clean install of win10 if you haven't done so already. try and narrow it down to what is causing the freezing, if it stops having problems after the clean install you'll know it was some sort of software conflict. if it continues to freeze I'd try removing the GPU and try operating our PC with onboard graphics