[SOLVED] New build randomly restarting

Dec 15, 2020
Hello, I am new to building computers and am having a frustrating problem with my new build. The computer will run just fine for hours, or even a day or two, and then suddenly restart. Sometimes it restarts back to windows in one try, other times it will restart again multiple times as it tries to reach the login screen. A friend of mine thought perhaps it was the motherboard so I got a new one and clean installed windows on a brand new ssd but the problem still persists.

Here is the build: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Confectionery/saved/#view=tbvLsY. (The only old parts are the case, graphics card, and another hdd being used for storage, it's a western digital but I don't recall the model. There is no OS installed on it, I had reformatted it recently so to use it's full capacity.) I did briefly switch from my new psu to my old but it still restarted at seemingly random.

I have updated the bios to the most recent (non-beta) version just tonight in the hopes that it will help (though it didn't on the original motherboard either). I'm sorry if I'm lacking important information, while I've used computers for a long time, building and troubleshooting problems is still very new to me. I tried to update the i225v ethernet driver but the firmware tool does not seem to update properly, not sure if that could be causes the crashes but I did also disable the ethernet driver because I use a usb wifi adapter. I have installed the chipset drivers.

Thanks and let me know of any information that I could provide to help figure things out.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
First:

Look in Reliability History for error codes and warnings that correspond to the restarts. The timeline format can be very revealing and you can click on any given error more more "technical details". The technical details may or may not be helpful.

Event Viewer will provide similar information but is much more cumbersome to work with and understand.

In any case, do not immediately react to any specific finding. Google the error and see what else you can learn. Do not respond to any download offers that claim they will fix the problem. Those "downloads" are likely to show up no matter what problem you are trying to identify and resolve.

Likewise look in Update history - you may find a list of failures: could be one update multiple times or multiple failures.

Second:

No one wants to force a connection in a new build. It can happen that something seems to be in place but is actually not. You may need to "unplug and replug" a few times to get a solid, seated connection.

Third:

In BIOS there are likely some settings regarding POST. Change the settings so the POST will display what it is doing step by step (Verbose) and what happens at each step. Slow the boot process as necessary so you have time to read what is displayed. You can always go back later and reverse the configuration settings in order to shorten POST time if you wish to do so.

Dec 15, 2020
I've included images of my event viewer and my reliability history. In reliability, there were entries at the time of recent shut downs (at around 12:41AM last night and at around 7:53PM tonight) but unfortunately they were not very helpful. They did not have any useful information and simply stated that these were unexpected shutdowns (tell me about, reliability history). I checked the event viewer entries at the time of recent shutdowns and their bug codes are zero and the 'information' honestly fly over my head. I read this from Microsoft and scenario 3 seems most similar. As for their recommendations:

Disable overclocking: I don't know how to overclock and my bios is set to default settings so that isn't the issue.
Check the memory: I bought new memory (of the same kind) to try when I swapped out the motherboard and restarting is still occuring with this new combination of motherboard and ram. The ram should be compatible, it's ddr4 and it's running at a lower frequency than 3200 at the moment. I have not touched xmp yet. I am happy to try testing it, it'll just take some time as it's a new experience for me.
Check the power supply: I've tried two different power supplies, both my old and my new, and restarting has still occurring. I've ordered a better surge protector online to see if that may help..
Check for overheating: I've temporarily taken my GPU out just to see if that may be the cause. I've been using coretemp to monitor my cpu and it does not seem to be overheating. With the GPU in, it was idling at around 33c and currently it's idling around 28c across all cores. Perhaps the GPU has been overheating? Time will tell if it my computer restarts still.

I've reconnected everything that I could in my computer, power; both into the psu and into the motherbard, sata, usb/audio/power/reset cables. I tried each a couple times to make sure I could recognize a full connection (either via click of the hook or a visibly flush/smooth connection to the port).

I checked my bios and unfortunately there does not seem to be an option like that though it's possible I may have missed it. I found an option to increase the post delay, which I did, but nothing to show post information on screen.

I'll post an update when it restarts again, unfortunately the nature of it means that it could take minutes, hours, or even days. Thanks again for your help and your patience with me.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020
Hello, my pc is still unfortunately restarting. I have tried a different motherboard, ram, cpu, and psu. I have tried it without the gpu as well with no luck. I am honestly approaching my wits end and am ready to take it to a local repair business but I can't afford to not have it during the holidays due to covid. I would appreciate any help, thanks again.