Question New build randomly shutting down while booting or shortly after ?

Jul 8, 2024
I built a new rig with the parts mentioned below. No drives connected, no case headers connected yet for testing.

Issue: System is shutting off and resetting to boot level either while booting into linux live testing usb or shortly (1-5min) after booting. Tested with different PSUs, only necessary headers connected to Motherboard. Sometimes no video signal after rebooting due to this issue. Tried CMOS reset as well as changing some bios power settings. One time when booting into Ubuntu Linux it said something "mce: Hardware Error CPU 14, Bank 5 / TSC 0 ADDR / PROCESSOR 2 microcode a20120e". Notable mention: fans are going at full speed twice for a second when booting.

Any Ideas?

MBD: Gigabyte B550M K
CPU: Ryzen 7 5700X (renewed but tested by seller)
GPU: RTX 2060 Super (known to be functioning from previous config)
Gskill generic 16GB DDR4
PSUs: bequiet straight power 11 650w and a System Power 7 450w (both tested & known to be functioning)

EDIT: Changed motherboard for another one. Error still persists

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

tested PSUs: bequiet straight power 11 650w as well as System Power 7 450w (known to be functioning)
What is the age of both units and what did they power prior?

no case headers connected yet for testing.
+
Ryzen 7 5700x (renewed but tested by seller)
How are you cooling the processor?

Gskill generic 16gb ddr4
We'll need images of the sticks of ram or at the very least a link to the ram kit, instead of being sated as generic. To also ask, which slots are the rams populating on the motherboard?

Gigabyte B550m k
BIOS version for your motherboard?

Like for like swap or to another board maker?

Reactions: LeLeek
Jul 8, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

tested PSUs: bequiet straight power 11 650w as well as System Power 7 450w (known to be functioning)
What is the age of both units and what did they power prior?

no case headers connected yet for testing.
+
Ryzen 7 5700x (renewed but tested by seller)
How are you cooling the processor?

Gskill generic 16gb ddr4
We'll need images of the sticks of ram or at the very least a link to the ram kit, instead of being sated as generic. To also ask, which slots are the rams populating on the motherboard?

Gigabyte B550m k
BIOS version for your motherboard?

Like for like swap or to another board maker?
Hi there.

The 450w is from the old system and worked perfectly. I took the GPU and tester PSU from this system into the supposed new one. It must be roughly 9y old by now.
The 650w is the new PSU which I thought in the beginning might by the issue. It was bought used but since both units have the exact same issue I doubt my initial thoughts.

For cooling I got a brand new Arctic Freezer 36. It's connected of course and seems to be working alright. BIOS says it idles below 30° C.

Memory Product link: https://www.gskill.com/product/165/185/1567584227/F4-3200C16D-32GIS
Note: I tested both sticks at once and each stick seperately in the slots specified by the MB manufacturer.

On the Gigabyte It was initially on version F1 but I later flashed it to F6a (latest) which had the only effect of the GPU fans not spinning up as fast, but did not solve the issue.
I later swapped it for an Asus Prime B550M-A but it did not change anything.