[SOLVED] New build randomly shutting down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 3, 2023
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to PC building. I built a mid-range PC last October and enjoyed it so much I decided to build another, higher end one a few weeks ago.
My problem is that this new build is randomly shutting down on me and I have tried most of what I can think of to do other than replacing the motherboard or CPU. At this point I have ruled out the PSU, GPU and SSD by using one's from my old system and still having the same issue. I have also just tried disabling c-states in the BIOS as I saw an LTT video where that was the issue, but for me that is not the case. I have also cleared CMOS once with no luck
Not long after starting the system for the first time, I updated the BIOS. One thing to mention is that when I updated the BIOS, I left the system alone and at one point my screens were black and the CPU and DRAM lights were flashing back and forth on my motherboard. I left it alone like that for maybe a half an hour before decided to shut the system down by holding the power button. Upon turning it back on I checked the BIOS and it had updated. Could it have been corrupted somehow even though it shows that it is on the most recent update?
Another thing worth mentioning is that this NEVER happens while I am playing a game. It only happens when my PC is idle or I am browsing the internet or watching a youtube video.
I also closely monitor my temps and both the CPU and GPU never get too hot unless I am running cinebench.

Here are my system specs: (Maybe I have some kind of incompatibility?)
CPU: Ryzen 9 7900x
Cooler: Lian Li Galahad 360 AIO
GPU: Asus Tuf 4080
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 Aorus Pro Ax
RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 DDR5 (2x16GB) [running at 4800MHz as I enabled EXPO and thought that might be the case, so I disabled it again for the time being]
PSU: Corsair RM1000x (2021)

I am using only cables that came from my PSU and have it plugged into my wall outlet.
Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated, this issue is driving me nuts!

Reactions: DDR1
Solution
Setting my VCore off Auto, has seen it full stable again on idle / limited use..., I knew VCore was an issue in like the 3000 series, but how has it not been fixed for the 7000 series? Lazy mobo suppliers? Might help you aswell 46andTOOL

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Did you clear the CMOS after you'd verified that the BIOS was successfully flashed to the latest version? Did any component ever get recycled from your older build? If so, please highlight them.

Apr 3, 2023
Yes, I cleared the CMOS some time after the BIOS was updated. It was not right after, but it was over the course of trying many things
No parts were recycled. They were all bought new

Apr 2, 2023
SImilar issue, when not under load would black screen on me.
Come across a random Reddit Post. to turn Power Supply Idle Control from AUTO to Typical Current Idle.. so far so good.. been about an hour Web Browsing and not black screen, was getting it about 5-10 minutes normally. Going to continue testing all night and will let you know ;) could Give that a go and see if it fixes it for you?

Reactions: 1iNTOX
Apr 3, 2023
I am having VERY similar problems, my pc also randomly shuts down (but never when I game). Are you getting any dump files? If so, those could definetly give some insight.
One thing I'd also try is running passmark memtest86 to check on your RAM.

Apr 2, 2023
Setting my VCore off Auto, has seen it full stable again on idle / limited use..., I knew VCore was an issue in like the 3000 series, but how has it not been fixed for the 7000 series? Lazy mobo suppliers? Might help you aswell 46andTOOL

Reactions: 1iNTOX
Solution
Apr 3, 2023
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I haven't had much time to troubleshoot because of work, but I changed my VCore setting in my BIOS from Auto to Normal 3 nights ago and haven't had a crash since and it's been 3 days of light browsing and watching videos, which has not happened since I built it. I think this fixed my issue

Apr 3, 2023
Hi,
I have an Asrock B450 Pro4 but for the love of god I couldn't find this setting. There's only 1 vcore setting which gives me the option to adjust the voltage by a bit.
Which board do you have and where did you find the setting?

Jun 5, 2023
I have almost the exact same build, just substitute the 7900x for a 7800X3D, 4080 for a reference, and the PSU. After I followed your instructions and setting the VCore off Auto, the number of random idle restarts has gone from a few times a week to probably 2 in the last month or so. I was wondering if you had any recommendations for further steps to cut that down?

Status
Not open for further replies.