New Build, recommendation for CPU cooler?

rolldogg

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
Hi, I just finished putting together my latest build, and I'm wondering if the CPU cooler that came with my processor is sufficient or if I should buy a better CPU cooler, and if so, if anyone would have any suggestions. I'm using an Asus Maximus VI Formula ROG motherboard and an Intel i7 4770k processor, and like I mentioned, I'm using the CPU cooler that came with the processor. I just got everything working yesterday and started installing my OS and all my drivers, but sometimes after a reboot, I get a message telling me that my CPU is overheating. I went into the BIOS and increased the speed of the fan on my processor to Maximum, but that was late last night and I soon after turned the system off and took a break. I don't want to risk overheating my CPU when I can just buy a better CPU cooler which won't cost much in relation to all of my components. Does anyone have any suggestions for a better CPU cooler or maybe going with a water based cooling system since this motherboard is already designed for this? Only problem is that I've never installed a water based cooling system before.

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished
The Hyper 212 EVO as mentioned above gets you the most cooler for your dollar, and should get you to around 4.4Ghz. If you want higher, consider investing in something like the NH-D14, or PH-TC14PE, which cools a bit better than the NH-D14 and comes in some more appealing colors.

As far as water cooling goes, you could always go for something like the H100i if you like a cleaner look, but you won't be getting much more performance than an NH-D14.

What case/RAM do you have?

rolldogg

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013

I have an Antec 1200 V3 full tower case and am using G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB DDR3 2133. As far as my graphics card, I'm using the EVGA GeForce 780ti Superclocked w/ 3GB GDDR5 384 bit graphics card running 3 monitors.

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished
Yeah, you should have plenty of room for just about any cooler.

What's your approximate budget for this upgrade?

By the way, make sure your heatsink is installed correctly. Those Intel stock heatsinks can be really finicky. You aren't overclocking with it, right?

rolldogg

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013

No, I'm not overclocking it, but I like having the option if I want to. I don't really have a budget. My company is paying for it. I just want to maximize the performance so I don't have to worry about upgrades for a while. I also have the ROG panel, Blu Ray burner, CD/DVD burner, Samsung 840 Pro SSD holding my operating system, and a 2TB hybrid drive, and a 1TB WD drive. I have about 6 fans in this thing not including the CPU fan and the GPU fan because I don't want anything to overheat since it'll be running 24 hours a day. I'll double check the stock heatsink, but the plastic pins are pushed all the way through the MB. Is this cross chill feature on the MB worth running a water cooling system through or is this just a marketing gimmick?

rolldogg

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013

Damn, that thing is massive! Will it fit with what I have? I guess I can go ahead and order it, and if it doesn't fit I could send it back. Thanks for the info. I had no idea this thing was out there.