computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
So i've put some consideration on what im going to put for my new build, and heres what i got

Antec 1200

i7 920 D0 stepping

EVGA Triple-SLI X58

1000 W Corsair PSU, or the 1000W Antec PSU, both are good, but the antec does seem better, need suggestions

4890 Atomic in CF

Heatsink, V10 is shiny, but doesent work as good as its price, was thinking the TRUE might be better, as benchmarks may show

10,000 RPM velociraptor 300 GB HDD, people have told me the newest 7000 rpm new HDD are faster than the velociraptors, so im stuck

Thats pretty much what i picked out, sorry for no links.
Other stuff i do need help choosing with, Blue-ray optical drive, keyboard + mouse (and like, top-of-the-line keyboard and mouse, for gaming :D), a MONITOR!! At a 1920x1200 resolution, hopefully, i mean theres not much of a difference between 1920x1020 and 1920x1200 is there. And memory, prolly at 1600/1333 with a low CAS latency, i can't figure out which one to choose, because they all pretty much seem the same to me, and it doesent make any differenece during gaming, but something that's atleast fast for web surfing.

i saw some guy post under the reviews for the antec 1200 that you can get an extra fan, can you? and i do think thats all for now.

ragsters

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
The Corsair 1000w PSU is definitely better than the Antec one but I don't recommend getting either. Get the Corsair HX850w or the Antec Signature 850w PSU.

+1 for the HX850...It is 80+ Gold certified and has enough juice to handle that config...
But if you are planning for Tri-Crossfire, then only go with the 1000W PSU...

Mobo - Just a heads up on the mobo...The chipset heatsink near the CPU socket might block some after market CPU coolers...So first confrm the same from the EVGA forums/ from people who are using that mobo...

CPU cooler - Scythe Mugen 2 would be my pick...
See for yourself...
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/core-i7-coolers-roundup.html

HDD - One more NO for the Velociraptor...
Other were correct about it,,,And they must be indicating to the WD Black 640GB/ 1TB 7200rpm drives...

If you still want more speed, better off investing that cash in SSD later on...

As for the RAM,
OCZ Platinum - 1600MHz adn CAS 7...

The Antec 1200 is really very good Full tower...Another very good and cheaper option would be the CM HAF 932...

computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009

Oh yeah, forgot about the scythe, ill check it out. Do you know the difference between the 80% certified bronze, silver, and gold? They look all the same to me. Guess ill go with that HDD, and yeah i know about the HAF 932, it runs a couple degrees cooler than the antec, but i prefer antecs design x.x

PSU -
80+ Gold - Always has 87%+ efficiency
80+ Silver - Always has 85%+ efficiency
80+ Bronze - Always has 82%+ efficiency
80+ - Always has 80%+ efficiency

@evongugg It is true that a 600W PSU can run 2 HD 4890s (even there is an article in TOMs that reviews the Cyberpower PC having X4 955 with 2x HD 4890s in crossfire, just powered by Corsair 650X...
But it would be constantly putting stress on the PSU as it would be at full load when playing games and would degrade sooner...
So a high quality 700W+ is always recommended for such high power components...

And @computernewbie even the Corsair 750HX would be a very good option for you...As it is a 80+ Gold certified, it would easily handle you config with ease...

CPU Cooler - No doubt Thermalright IFX-14 is best of the lot...but it is huge...So first off check with others who have that cooler for any incompatibility issues...
I doubt it comes with 1366 kit...but here is one available separately...
http://www.crazypc.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=50989L1366&Category_Code=

http://www.crazypc.com/products/ifx14-cpu-cooler-50989.html

And if you have noticed, the Scythe Mugen 2 is not far behind...It would be a very good alternative too...You can have 2 fans in push-pull config for better results...