[SOLVED] New build Ryzen 5 3600 Advice

Oct 17, 2019
Hello everyone!

I'm thinking to build a new computer with these components. I like to hear your opinion and advice if these components fit well, are they compatible for a stable computer?

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: Asrock B450M-HDV
Memory: G.Skill RipJaws DDR4 3600 cl18

Thanks in advance!

Solution
No. The HDV is a low end piece of junk. You don't want to use that board PLUS it will probably not work anyhow as it's unlikely that it will have the required BIOS update to allow it to be compatible with the R5 3600. Choose a better board. You will likely need to either choose an MSI MAX model, or an MSI model that has BIOS flashback if you are going to go with B450 motherboards, OR, you will need to choose an X570 motherboard. AMD also has a loaner program where you can basically pay a deposit and they sent you a CPU that will allow you to update any B450 or X470 motherboard to a BIOS version that will support Ryzen 3000, but it's a lengthy PITA process and I don't recommend it except as a last resort.

Better to simply get a board...
No. The HDV is a low end piece of junk. You don't want to use that board PLUS it will probably not work anyhow as it's unlikely that it will have the required BIOS update to allow it to be compatible with the R5 3600. Choose a better board. You will likely need to either choose an MSI MAX model, or an MSI model that has BIOS flashback if you are going to go with B450 motherboards, OR, you will need to choose an X570 motherboard. AMD also has a loaner program where you can basically pay a deposit and they sent you a CPU that will allow you to update any B450 or X470 motherboard to a BIOS version that will support Ryzen 3000, but it's a lengthy PITA process and I don't recommend it except as a last resort.

Better to simply get a board that supports Ryzen 3000 out of the box OR get a board that has BIOS flashback so that the BIOS can be updated without even needing a CPU installed.

What country are you in and how much can you afford to throw at a motherboard, realistically?

Reactions: enmac
Solution
Oct 17, 2019
Thank you for the reply!

Better to simply get a board that supports Ryzen 3000 out of the box OR get a board that has BIOS flashback so that the BIOS can be updated without even needing a CPU installed.

Is there any other Asrock motherboard model that supports R5 3600 without need of flash?

The only ASRock boards I know of that support Ryzen 3000 out of the box are the X570 models, and those are expensive. Otherwise, you need to look to a few MSI B450 models like the Tomahawk which have BIOS flashback, or any of the MSI "Max" B450 models, or a couple of the high end ASUS B450 boards or ANY B450 or X470 board that has BIOS flashback, specifically has it.

Reactions: enmac