[SOLVED] New build: Ryzen 5 3600 and RTX 3060, should I use B450 or B550 motherboard?

Sep 23, 2021
To preface, I'm trying to spend as little as possible on the build. No 'gaming' component, no flashy bs.

I NEED the RTX 3060 because I'll be using it partly for work, and need that 12 GB VRAM and CUDA support, so swapping for Radeon is out of the option. Other than that my main purpose for this build is still gaming. I don't care for NVME transfer speed, won't be using an NVME drive at all. Really this is just a build focused around the RTX 3060.

For gaming, does the RTX 3060 benefit significantly from PCIE 4.0? Or can I just safely go for B450 since it's $50 cheaper in my country?

Last edited:
Solution
I know the advantage of NVME drives, but again I don't want to and care to spend extra money. My SSD is already good for gaming. My biggest concern is regarding the graphics card.
There in no benefit of pcie 3.0 & 4.0 for gpu’s at the moment. When NVidia launched the 3090 they did their demo and benchmarks using a 3.0 setup.

As for game load times there is a very small difference between SATA and NVMe 3.0 or 4.0.
View: https://youtu.be/Rm_h0xSqtc0
Sep 23, 2021
For gaming, transfer speeds are not important but load times are. PCIe4 might not benefit as much but NVME will benefit with game load times. Remember, your PC is as fast as the slowest component in it.

I know the advantage of NVME drives, but again I don't want to and care to spend extra money. My SSD is already good for gaming. My biggest concern is regarding the graphics card.

There in no benefit of pcie 3.0 & 4.0 for gpu’s at the moment. When NVidia launched the 3090 they did their demo and benchmarks using a 3.0 setup.

As for game load times there is a very small difference between SATA and NVMe 3.0 or 4.0.
View: https://youtu.be/Rm_h0xSqtc0

Solution