[SOLVED] New build. Ryzen 7 2700 or Ryzen 5 3600?

The Tiger

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
I'm upgrading my 2013 PC. My budget only allows for the i5 9400F or Ryzen 7 2700 (not X). The Intel has lots better single core performance, but since I've been using Intel for 20 years, I want to get an AMD for a change.

My primary use is heavy browsing with lots of tabs open, some video editing at 1080p, and gaming (not too demanding ones but the adventure ones like Tomb Raider, AC, Elder Scrolls).

Now I checked out the Ryzen 5 3600 which is much newer technology and has higher single core speeds, but costs (India's currency equivalent) of $50 more (14000 INR Vs 17500 INR). I can extend my budget only IF it's worth the perfomance gain in my scenario.

I won't be overclocking but I want the build to be future proof like my previous one, not being unusable for some 6-8 years.

I have another question. I have an Antec A30 cooler lying around. Will it be better than AMD stock cooler? What about VRM cooling because the Antec will not cool VRMs by design. Do the VRM need any cooling at all if I have two 120mm fans in the cabinet?

Solution
From what I can tell, the R5 3600 is fast enough to beat the R7 2700 in both single core and multi-core benchmarks, so I'd say it is worth the price difference, though you get fewer cores, those cores are fast enough to more than make up for it. So my suggestion would be to go for the 3600, for your usage it faster for pretty much everything you do.

Don't know about the cooler, but it probably will be better than the stock cooler since it has those copper heat pipes, I don't think AMD's stock cooler has any copper at all. You can give the stock cooler a shot first, since you're not overclocking it might just be good enough for you, and if you feel it's loud(some people have complained that it's loud, others say they don't hear a...
From what I can tell, the R5 3600 is fast enough to beat the R7 2700 in both single core and multi-core benchmarks, so I'd say it is worth the price difference, though you get fewer cores, those cores are fast enough to more than make up for it. So my suggestion would be to go for the 3600, for your usage it faster for pretty much everything you do.

Don't know about the cooler, but it probably will be better than the stock cooler since it has those copper heat pipes, I don't think AMD's stock cooler has any copper at all. You can give the stock cooler a shot first, since you're not overclocking it might just be good enough for you, and if you feel it's loud(some people have complained that it's loud, others say they don't hear a thing), you can switch to the A30. The VRM cooling depends on the motherboard, if it has good VRM setup then there is no need for the CPU cooler to also cool the VRMs. The MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX would be the motherboard I recommend for the 3600, it has excellent VRMs.

Solution

pell380

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
If you CAN then you should get the ryzen 3600 no question in that but if you budget is lock then ryzen 7 2700 is best choice for you get a decent mother board so later on u can upgrade to some thing like ryzen 4xxx and i believe they will also be on am4 just pick the supported chipset i think x470 will do to ensure that you have upgrade path

TRENDING THREADS