[SOLVED] {New build} Ryzen 7 3700X temps/voltages jumping all over

hawkgoalie

Reputable
Jun 13, 2016
Hey guys,

I recently finished a new build, with a ryzen 7 3700X, and I feel like im having some issues.

I could hear my fans ramping up and down over and over, so I went and played with the fan curve a bit, no luck.

Upon looking more and verifying through hardward monitor, it seems like the CPU package temp will jump between ~47 and ~65 C at what I could consider essentially idle (one chrome tab open.) The voltages also seem to be jumping a good bit which I believe is fairly normal for the 3000 series ryzen chips...? They go from about 1.0XX to 1.450 at the max, and its NEVER stable, literally bouncing all over the place.

For cooling I am running a EVGA CLC 360MM with the fans controlled via PWM through a commander pro. I have a 3 pack of QL120s on the way which will replace the 3 stock fans and those will be directly on the MOBO fan header, as I believe that may have something to do with the issue.

Just wondering if those changes in voltages and temps were normal with the 3000 series ryzen chips, as I don't recall having any issues with the 1600 I had in the previous system.

Solution
1)Drop Hardware Monitor. Exclusively use Ryzen Master.

2)That 'bursty' behavior you're seeing is normal for Ryzen 3000, but it's doing this with one or 2 cores, as opposed to splitting the tasks across all cores like Intel.
#ToousedtoIntel

3)"I have a 3 pack of QL120s on the way which will replace the 3 stock fans and those will be directly on the MOBO fan header, as I believe that may have something to do with the issue."
Mmm, nope. Won't change a thing - might be a little worse actually, because they're not as powerful as the CLC's stock fans.

4)Ryzen 3000 is unique even compared to it's older Ryzen cousins; it has more in common with Nvidia gpus.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

2)That 'bursty' behavior you're seeing is normal for Ryzen 3000, but it's doing this with one or 2 cores, as opposed to splitting the tasks across all cores like Intel.
#ToousedtoIntel

3)"I have a 3 pack of QL120s on the way which will replace the 3 stock fans and those will be directly on the MOBO fan header, as I believe that may have something to do with the issue."
Mmm, nope. Won't change a thing - might be a little worse actually, because they're not as powerful as the CLC's stock fans.

4)Ryzen 3000 is unique even compared to it's older Ryzen cousins; it has more in common with Nvidia gpus.

Solution

hawkgoalie

Reputable
Jun 13, 2016
Thank you for the quick response!

Honestly just think HWmonitor is easier to digest the info, the new Ryzen master layout with all the green is gross...

#ToousedtoIntel

This is what I thought so thats good!

It will help in just pure noise level of the fans though, the Stock clc fans are STUPID loud even at lower(~1000) RPM. And the reason I want to go directly to the MOBO header is to just have the MOBO control the fan curve, and not software that has to be open all the time. I used the "fan Xpert" i believe its called on the old system and everything was dam near silent, so I figured I'll let it control fan speeds again.

Again thank you for the quick reply!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You're all good then.
A heads up on the monitoring software: Except Ryzen Master, other monitoring programs will inadvertently wake the dormant cores up making them think there's a task to be done.
This will cause operating temps to be higher.

TRENDING THREADS