New Build Ryzen Threadripper Terrible Performance??

dpriest

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
Hi,
I have searched all over the internet for answers and am coming up empty handed. I just built a new system that I would expect to be lightning fast across the board with everything. I have found the opposite with very sluggish performance with simple tasks such as navigating through windows, opening basic programs, right clicking on files, folders, icons, etc. This is very painful and to say the least, disappointing and reminds me of my computer 20 years ago with windows xp and a slow processor. My system I just replaced is much faster which had the i7-4770K processor running Windows 7.

I am running Windows 10 Home on my new system and have re-installed three times with no change. I have the Ryzen Threadripper 1950X on the Asrock X399 Taichi with 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB (4X8GB) memory. The processor is cooled with the Enermax Liqtech tr4 360 liquid cooler and temperatures are good. The OS is installed on my primary drive which is the Samsung 960 EVO M.2. My graphics card is the GeForce GTX 1050 2GB and my power supply is the Corsair TXM 750 Watt. From what I've read, I believe this is a problem with my m.2 Samsung drive. Here is the test results of the Crystal Disk Mark test on my Samsung 960 Evo. I'm not sure if this is good or not and all I want is a system that runs smoothly, fast with no issues.(Yea right). Please help!!

Here is the link to my Crystal Disk Mark test: https://imageshack.com/a/img923/1633/5mlcie.png

Solution
Yeah, that doesn't sound right. Hopefully you've solved your issues at this point, but it could very well be something you have installed as well, possibly a context menu issue with an application, a Virus scanner, or there is something that windows is referencing on a network that is no longer there, etc. You could look into EventViewer and see if anything is giving a hint as to what it may be. Also, to help eliminate if it's something on the system vs a rogue application go into msconfig and Under the General Tab, use the Diagnostic Startup. This will load basic services and you can see if your system is more responsive. If it is, then it's just a matter of finding which service or application is causing the problem. You can...

dpriest

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
My BIOS is up to date and the info on the ram is DDR4 2132. I am not overclocking the CPU and did not modify it. I guess it is running in standard mode. With a processor this fast, I never thought it would be this complex to have a system that runs smoothly with just navigating through windows and didn't think I would need to tune my memory or CPU. On another note, when I encode a video in Handbrake and Vidcoder with very high quality x264 settings and leave the computer alone to do its thing, this system and processor is a beast that rips through 1080P movies in under two hours where with my i7-4770K it took 6 hours. Does this sound like a hard drive issue?

In my experience, if the drive was faulty, you would be getting errors and crashes. It sounds to me that the things you are noticing that seem "sluggish" are things that are not well threaded and rely on a single or a few fast cores. Programs like Handbrake and other productivity programs are made to take advantage of all those cores and threads, which is Threadrippers strength.

You can try overclocking the CPU, I hear it's really easy to get to 3.9ghz and you already have the cooling for it. And/or overclock the RAM, the stuff you have is kind of slow for an AMD CPU. It's not bad, just kind of slow. I usually recommend 3000 or faster, as I mentioned part of the CPU scales with RAM speed. The Infinity Fabric, connects the CPU modules and the faster they can communicate the better. In everyday tasks, Game mode is better as it keeps the core usage to a single module as much as possible. Creator mode is meant for productivity and expects all cores to get used.

dpriest

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
What you are saying doesn't make sense to me because I am talking about something I believe should be inherent in any computer which is fast, smooth navigation through windows, right clicking either the desktop or a file without having a long delay with a spinning blue circle and opening a program instantly. I don't believe AMD would design a processor that needs to be overclocked to achieve the very basics.

cddarkman

Prominent
Apr 20, 2018
Yeah, that doesn't sound right. Hopefully you've solved your issues at this point, but it could very well be something you have installed as well, possibly a context menu issue with an application, a Virus scanner, or there is something that windows is referencing on a network that is no longer there, etc. You could look into EventViewer and see if anything is giving a hint as to what it may be. Also, to help eliminate if it's something on the system vs a rogue application go into msconfig and Under the General Tab, use the Diagnostic Startup. This will load basic services and you can see if your system is more responsive. If it is, then it's just a matter of finding which service or application is causing the problem. You can also go into the Startup tab and disable everything in the startup for the time-being and see if that makes a difference and then turn things on one by one.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS