[SOLVED] New build, Ryzen, won't recognize harddrive

Dec 10, 2018
Hi Guys.

I know that this is my first post in here, and yes, i have used this forum a lot by searching created threads, because there is a lot, and a lot of helpful and skilled people.

So. Problem up front. I have a mechanical hard drive that has 2 tb of space - Seagate backup plus that i took the harddrive out of to begin with. This hard drive does NOT want to be seen by my new ryzen 2700x and MSI x470 Gaming carbon motherboard. This has me going crazy. Has worked in my Intel Z97 build for years.

Steps done to test stuff:

1. Tested the harddrive (In another PC, and then lastly with an external case.) Works perfectly.
2. Formatted the drive to GPT partition to make it UEFI compatible. I wanted to make sure that it has nothing to do with legacy compatability on this motherboard being bad. Anyways tested with another mechanical drive though (very old 160 gb western digital, works fine).
3 Updated the bios to the latest revision.
4. Different cable. Tested with cable that works fine with my second SSD. Works perfectly with SSD, and the old drive mentioned above.

The bios won't see this hard drive at all and it has me pulling out my hair.
But the hard drive works perfectly. WHY?!

Sorry. I'm coming to an end with this, but wanted your guys opinion and suggestions. But i almost feel like trashing a perfectly good drive and buying another.

Solution

Hi.

Wasn't supposed to select yours as best answer.

I did run Seagate tools and harddrive was perfectly fine. The only part that is seagate, upon closer inspection, is the enclosure and the PCB within that has sata mad power. The harddrive is Samsung spinpoint.

I have come to terms with the issue. I am buying a new HDD.
It seems the harddrive itsel is a Samsung spinpoint. And even if you Google Samsung spinpoint f3 not being recognized there's a lot of posts about the issue. Has something to do with the firmware and newer controllers.
Mine is not f3. But thinking it is kinda the same...
Dec 10, 2018

Hi.

Wasn't supposed to select yours as best answer.

I did run Seagate tools and harddrive was perfectly fine. The only part that is seagate, upon closer inspection, is the enclosure and the PCB within that has sata mad power. The harddrive is Samsung spinpoint.

I have come to terms with the issue. I am buying a new HDD.
It seems the harddrive itsel is a Samsung spinpoint. And even if you Google Samsung spinpoint f3 not being recognized there's a lot of posts about the issue. Has something to do with the firmware and newer controllers.
Mine is not f3. But thinking it is kinda the same issue.

So yeah. I gave up. The HDD got put back in original enclosure.

Solution