Question New Build Sata Problem

Jan 19, 2023
Just completed my first build with:

i3 10100 10th gen
Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Ultra (Lga 1200)
WD 1 TB Wd Blue M.2 Nvme drive
32 Gigs 3200MHz Vengeance ram
Window 11 Pro

Everything is running well and connected properly, except that Win11 doesn't recognize my internal Sata Data drive that accompany the 1 Tb M.2 Nvme boot drive (boot to Win11 works!)
(I've tried several different sata drives including a Samsung 1 TB SSD and 300 GB mechanical drive so I could feel the vibrations confirm that power was on)

The Bios recognizes the secondary sata drives and lists them in the boot order. (they work!)
Once in Win11, Disk Management tool and Diskpart don't see the drive so I can't mount them

I've tried different sata ports on the mobo (I have 6 of them) and changed the cables just to make sure all cables were ok.
I've tried all the sata drives on my other Win11 Hp Omen pc and they work well.

I've tried all the sata drives all alone in the build without the Nvme 1 Tb boot drive.
Bios sees them but they are invisible to Win11 and all utilities (Disk managment, diskpart, Aomei)

I've read the mobo manual (Gigabyte Aorus Z590) and there shouldn't be any conflicts with the nvme boot drive.

I'm stumped!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Drive encryption from your previous system?

I hope you got a great discount on those parts, otherwise, not very cost effective.

i3-12100 and a cheap B660 DDR4 motherboard would have been the way to go.

Z590 lets you jump to the 11th gen i9-11900K as a maximum, but it is already very obsolete compared to the 12700k or 13700k with a B660 board would support.

Jan 19, 2023
Thanks Eximo.

I don't think drive encryption is the issue, as I reformatted the drives with diskpart on the new system.

I appreciate the advice on parts. The ones I bought were on sale and within my budget.
I'll follow your advice for the next build.

Jan 19, 2023
Check your motherboard manual.
The specs say that M2A m.2 connector is supported only by 11th gen processors.

Sometimes some sata ports will be disabled when a fast m.2 is installed.

Thanks Geofelt.

I thought that was a possibility, but my understanding is that was only for the m.2 in the first position (I have 3 and don't use the first one).
Tried to post the relevant section in the manual, but the forum doesn't seem to accept my link from Imgur

Jan 19, 2023
Following the suggestion from TerryLaze I have downloaded the chipset drivers from Gigabyte that should contain the Sata drivers and unzipped the file.
Contained inside the folder there is an exe file:

SetupChipset.exe

as well as:

DriverFiles (folder)
mup.xmi
WixLicenseNote.txt

I assume I update the Chipset drivers by simply double clicking on this exe file to perform the update.

Thanks to everyone in the forum for helping me with my first build

Jan 19, 2023
Problem Solved!!

After much ado, I discovered that the SATA MODE SELECTION setting in Bios defaults to INTEL RST PREMIUM WITH INTLE OPTANE

switched the setting to ACHI and the drive is seen by Windows 11.

Now my first build is complete and working well

Thanks to everyone for their help

Reactions: BlaUno