Question New build severely underperforming?

Jan 31, 2023
my build
The only thing I changed in this build is the gpu, I upgraded from a 2070super to a 4080
However compared to different youtube videos and benchmarks my 4080 is severely underperforming.
even with the 2070super my cpu was always performing below expectations according to userbenchmark but this time my rig really bothers me.
I bought this expensive new GPU and it really doesn't feel like much of an upgrade because the frames are so terrible.

So I know to not trust userbenchmark regarding the actual scores and whatever but they might be right,
When playing the game we happy few which is a pretty old game I'm only getting around 60fps
Cyberpunk also runs at only 60fps all maxed out.

Correct tried some oc'ing today but it didn't really change much regarding the performance so I went back to base speed

I don't believe @kerberos_20 is telling you to OC the CPU. Only to allow it to boost to it's rated speeds. Your CPU is designed to run at 4.7ghz all core. I would suspect this is where the missing performance is coming from.

Given you are playing at 1080p, the CPU will be key for higher FPS. Getting it to boost will help. Have you disabled boost or something? Power limit the system?

cyberpunk runs at 70-80
we happy few runs at 60
Horizon zero dawn does run at 120fps steady
you've got some rare setup that must be limiting performance/fps in some games.

Cyberpunk 2077 is one of the most demanding games out there,
We Happy Few shouldn't take much at all hardware-wise for high performance,
and Horizon: Zero Dawn is also pretty demanding but with lower settings can run good on mid-level systems.

if you have any type of 3rd party graphics optimization software installed, uninstall ALL OF IT.
remove all graphics related data with DDU in Windows Safe Mode.
restart and install the latest Nvidia driver package.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Jan 31, 2023
you've got some rare setup that must be limiting performance/fps in some games.

Cyberpunk 2077 is one of the most demanding games out there,
We Happy Few shouldn't take much at all hardware-wise for high performance,
and Horizon: Zero Dawn is also pretty demanding but with lower settings can run good on mid-level systems.

if you have any type of 3rd party graphics optimization software installed, uninstall ALL OF IT.
remove all graphics related data with DDU in Windows Safe Mode.
restart and install the latest Nvidia driver package.
Sadly I already tried DDU and it didn't do anything
The only software I have installed beside the drivers is CC cleaner.

Sadly I already tried DDU and it didn't do anything
you've definitely got something software-wise interfering with performance if you are correct about the outcome with these 3 different games.

are you running these games at different resolutions?
The only software I have installed beside the drivers is CC cleaner.
so you don't have any motherboard control software or any other applications installed?

many times motherboard manufacturer control software will include game "performance" profiles attached.
make sure none of these are included or initializing.

Jan 31, 2023
so you don't have any motherboard control software or any other applications installed?

many times motherboard manufacturer control software will include game "performance" profiles attached.
make sure none of these are included or initializing.
No motherboard software installed.
The rest are all game launchers such as steam,gog,ubisoft,ea,blizzard etc

maybe try setting all three games to their lowest in-game graphics settings.
then see again what type of performance you get.

i've never experienced an issue within Windows through hundreds, maybe even thousands of builds that would cause higher demanding games to run better than lower without 3rd party intervention.

No motherboard software installed.
The rest are all game launchers such as steam,gog,ubisoft,ea,blizzard etc

Try resetting the bios! Your CPU clock ratio seems to be set on 36. Change this to auto and see what happens. As the other posters have also mentioned there seems to be some artificial cap, either introduced by you, or some software.

Also, what power plan are you running?

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023
Try resetting the bios! Your CPU clock ration seems to be set on 36. Change this to auto and see what happens. As the other posters have also mentioned there seems to be some artificial cap, either introduced by you, or some software.

Alright gonna try to set the clock ration to auto.
where can I see my power plan?

Jan 31, 2023
Try resetting the bios! Your CPU clock ratio seems to be set on 36. Change this to auto and see what happens. As the other posters have also mentioned there seems to be some artificial cap, either introduced by you, or some software.

Thank you so much I feel a bit stupid now but indeed setting the clock to auto increased performance dramatically

Jan 31, 2023
Wihoo! :) Result :)

No need to feel stupid. I've made bigger boo boo's than that in my time!! We're hear to help with advice and get you back up and running.

So, performance is as expected now?
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/58834305 here is a new bench cpu is performing above expectations, also enabled the boost!
Still we happy few drops from 120 to 80 fps but it is a pretty bad port so no suprise there.

Think the gpu is still performing below because I am running it stock without any OC.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/58834305 here is a new bench cpu is performing above expectations, also enabled the boost!
Still we happy few drops from 120 to 80 fps but it is a pretty bad port so no suprise there.

Think the gpu is still performing below because I am running it stock without any OC.

Wow, that's some uplift!! :) Nice.

Yes, often, some games are just not optimized enough. I hate ports. But we gotta live with them.

TRENDING THREADS