New build, Should I get OEM, or Student Pro.

MattMountain

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Hi, I am new to building computers and am confused as to whether I should purchase Windows 8 OEM or Windows 8 Student Pro. I am about to have a new set up with no-OS and was wondering if it is even possible to install windows 8 Student Pro without a current OS. There is a deal going on at the moment on Microsofts webpage were Student Pro is only $69.99.

Solution
If it's an upgrade then I think you need to have the acceptable fully purchased operating system installed on your computer, and then upgrade from there. So, consider the Windows 8 on my laptop right now. I could get that Windows 8 deal and upgrade from my original OS because I already have the program installed on my computer. But I wouldn't be able to just toss an upgrade version on a blank hard drive.

At least that's how I understand it.

Jaxem

Honorable

Here's what the site says about it:

"To install Windows 8 Pro, you must be running Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 Consumer Preview, or Windows 8 Release Preview. If you are upgrading from Windows 7 or Windows Vista, you will have the ability to create back up media during the upgrade process. If you are upgrading from Windows XP SP3, back up media is available for purchase at the same time as Windows 8."

It sounds like you can download a preview copy and upgrade from that (which wouldn't cost you anything additionally). This seems kind of odd, because usually windows upgrades require you to be running a validated (purchased) version of windows...

MattMountain

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Ya, I had read that and wasn't sure that if I were to use the preview copy if it would expire or not. Also I'm not sure how I would get it on my computer in the first place, unless I download it unto a memory stick. I'm very new to computers and this windows thing is super confusing. It seems that every windows 8 product that microsoft offers on their webpage is an "upgrade".

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
If it's an upgrade then I think you need to have the acceptable fully purchased operating system installed on your computer, and then upgrade from there. So, consider the Windows 8 on my laptop right now. I could get that Windows 8 deal and upgrade from my original OS because I already have the program installed on my computer. But I wouldn't be able to just toss an upgrade version on a blank hard drive.

At least that's how I understand it.

Solution
You can upgrade from a preview but you still must own a prior os to be eligible. It doesn't have to be installed, merely owning the license to that pc is required. I have done clean installs on blank new hdds from w7 and w8 upgrade media. I don't have a dvd drive and usb is faster anyways.
QoTMK.jpg

Currently the cheapest place to get windows 8 (non upgrade) is on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Windows-System-Builder-OEM-64-Bit/dp/B0094NY3R0