[SOLVED] New build, should I update bios?

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
I'm building a new PC and I bought the Asus TUF gaming x570 pro mobo. The box says its 5000 series ready to be compatible with my 5800x so that shouldn't be an issue. My question is, since its a new mobo with apparently a fairly new version of bios since its 5000 series ready, should I still download new bios from Asus website?

I've just heard its not always good to flash bios if not needed because problems could occur.

Solution
Once you are working ok, do not try to update the bios to fix a problem that you do not have.

OTOH, on a new build, I would be inclined to update the bios to currency.
Any problems encountered are easy to deal with at this early stage before the pc goes into production.
In particular, ryzen is very sensitive to ram issues and many bios updates deal with those.

I might add to verify that your ram is explicitly supported by the motherboard qvl list or by the ram vendor's supported list.
Seemingly identical specs are not always supported.
Once you are working ok, do not try to update the bios to fix a problem that you do not have.

OTOH, on a new build, I would be inclined to update the bios to currency.
Any problems encountered are easy to deal with at this early stage before the pc goes into production.
In particular, ryzen is very sensitive to ram issues and many bios updates deal with those.

I might add to verify that your ram is explicitly supported by the motherboard qvl list or by the ram vendor's supported list.
Seemingly identical specs are not always supported.

Solution