Question New build shutting down unexpectedly

Aug 14, 2019
Hell all,

Ok here’s the situation, so I built my system (specs below) in early June with the exception of reusing a Power Supply and a few HDDs (which are currently only used for storage no OS) it was running fine until the other night. Nothing different than normal operations, was starting a youtube video when the PC just turned off. I tried hitting the power button a few times and got nothing at all. Switched out power cables, plugged it in to different electrical outlets just to check and got no results. I assumed that it was more than likely the power supply I had (Corsair 700w probably about 7 years old or so), so I went and purchased a new 750w Power Supply and installed it.

Crossed my fingers and started it up and everything was fine, doesn’t appear I lost anything hardware or software wise so I was happy. Pulled up Chrome and loaded a few tabs up and all the sudden it did the exact same thing as it did the day before, only this time I was able to power up again. Thinking maybe I just got unlucky I went back to browsing and it happened again. It restarted again but I didn’t want to push my “luck” and turned it off. So that’s where things stand as of now. I went and filled out one of those “how much power does my pc need” forms and stretched it a bit and it came out around 620w so it doesn’t look like it’s overdrawing the power supply. But replacing the power supply this last time got it to work so I’m a bit confused it’s been running fine for a few months and all the sudden it’s giving me grief. Nothing else has changed, I haven’t added or taken anything away hardware/software wise. It’s got adequate cooling on both the case and CPU.

I do have it plugged in to wall power surge protector that has a few other things plugged in to it, could that be the problem? I’ve been building PCs for quite a while and haven’t seen something like this before. I’m really at a loss. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

PC BUILD:

I9-9900k 3.6Ghz (with 120mm Coolermaster cpu fan/heatsink on top)

MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus mobo

2x Corsair Vengenance 16GB a piece

EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC Ultra video card

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD (running win10)

2 WD ESATA HDDs (6 years old maybe?)

ASUS 31.5” 144hz monitor

Corsair 750w Power Supply

Typical gaming mouse and a chroma keyboard

Could be the motherboard that is faulty i had the same fault couple years ago had to buy a new motherboard and PSU and that corrected the problem. So since you bought a new PSU then most likely its the motherboard that making your computer restart. I would rma your motherboard also do some more checks like only put one ram stick at a time and see if its restart to rule out faulty ram. But couple years ago my computer would restart in games and idle replaced MB it was working again.

Aug 14, 2019
Thanks for the reply! Pretty sure it's gonna be the motherboard after reading your response. As you suggested I tried both sticks of RAM one at a time and both ended with the same result. Much appreciated. Going to grab a new mobo and try it tonight.

Aug 14, 2019
You could RMA the motherboard instead of buying an new one that if your MB still under warranty

Yeah just trying to figure out if I want to spend another 100 something or be without a desktop for whatever amount of time it takes for the RMA. May end up purchasing and RMA just to have a "backup". I'm just not very patient I suppose. I'll reply either way to this after I get the mobo installed to see if that is indeed the issue.

Aug 14, 2019
So get this..........go buy another motherboard (same one as listed above) because as I've said I'm inpatient. Take out the "old" motherboard and install the one I just bought, hook everything up and it powers up and things seem normal. Then the SAME EXACT ROUTINE causes it to crash. At this point I've just started laughing at how ridiculous this is.
So at this point I'm suspecting it's something on the hard-drive that's bad, so a 4 hour story short of removing hard drives, plugging back in, having to use diskpart from win10 install to configure an M.2 drive to get Windows 10 to actually install on it. I've been using it for about an hour and a half now, minus the two HDD and SDD I previously used as an OS host. I'm not entirely convinced it was indeed the SDD causing it, as I've read some odd stories about video card drivers causing some strange stuff. That's it for tonight though, I might try adding a drive at a time back at a time to see what happens.
This has been absolutely an infuriating build, might have bought both a PSU and motherboard I didn't need. Oh the fun.

So get this..........go buy another motherboard (same one as listed above) because as I've said I'm inpatient. Take out the "old" motherboard and install the one I just bought, hook everything up and it powers up and things seem normal. Then the SAME EXACT ROUTINE causes it to crash. At this point I've just started laughing at how ridiculous this is.
So at this point I'm suspecting it's something on the hard-drive that's bad, so a 4 hour story short of removing hard drives, plugging back in, having to use diskpart from win10 install to configure an M.2 drive to get Windows 10 to actually install on it. I've been using it for about an hour and a half now, minus the two HDD and SDD I previously used as an OS host. I'm not entirely convinced it was indeed the SDD causing it, as I've read some odd stories about video card drivers causing some strange stuff. That's it for tonight though, I might try adding a drive at a time back at a time to see what happens.
This has been absolutely an infuriating build, might have bought both a PSU and motherboard I didn't need. Oh the fun.

You could refund the motherboard back and keep the new PSU because your old one was 7 years old. You can never tell what causing the crashes due to fact it can be many things. I thought it was the motherboard since you bought an new PSU!

Aug 14, 2019
and the saga continues, went to go start installing some stuff on the drive and wouldn't you know it, starts shutting down again. So that leaves me with CPU and video card. Think I have another video card I can try that to see if that removes the problem or not.

and the saga continues, went to go start installing some stuff on the drive and wouldn't you know it, starts shutting down again. So that leaves me with CPU and video card. Think I have another video card I can try that to see if that removes the problem or not.

I would take out the GPU and use the cpu on board graphic then you can rule out the gpu if that dose not work then Idk but also check to see if your cpu is not overheating!

Aug 14, 2019
This thing continues to drive me absolutely mad. I've done everything I can possibly think of, I ran Intel's diagnostic tool on the CPU and it passed with flying colors and no restarts during it monitored cpu temp with CAM, it did heat up but nothing crazy. I ran Heaven Benchmark and no restarts again took a look at CAM and GPU temp was fine. Also ran memtest86 on the RAM for over half an hour it passed the 11 tests run against it with no errors reported.
Here's the odd (moreso than everything else?) part had a shut down unexpectedly while browsing the web, it restarted, I opened up chrome and it crashed within about 15 seconds of starting. Decided I'd try something different and play some BF5 when the computer rebooted, I was able to not only open BF5 but play for 3 hours un-interrupted by shutdowns. I can't for the life of me find a way to replicate the problem.