New Build Spec - Gimme pro's & cons to this setup

willpoweraz

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Okay I'm a seasoned hardware guy looking to envelope the next gen in computer technology with SATA2 and PCI-E capabilities in building a server to protect and update about 10-15GB in the best possible way.
Our backup path is to utilize RAID1+0 on 4 WD SATA2 250GB drives, and utilize vertitas to do daily backups to another 250GB drive in 7 daily folders to enable day-to-day backup and give me the abilty to jump back to any day within the last week.

I have to build the following for 10GB of very valuable data in a networked enviroment.....

2.66GHZ Pentium D 533MHZ
ECS 945P-A Socket 775 MOBO
2.0GB RAM 533Mhz
PCI-Express High Point 2310 SATA2 controller card
Plextor 16X DVD-RW
6 - WD 250GB SATA2 16MB HDD'z
1-Primary OS Drive
4-RAID 1+0
1-Offsite storage - Normally removed
4 Bay Addonics 4SA Disk Array
Antec PlusView SOHO case + Antec 550Watt true control II
Gigabyte 6200 128MB PCI-E Video

I need to verify I have the right data setup for failsafe backup and operation of 10GB of valuable data. Anyone see any tolerance or run-time issues of these drives in this setup failing because of something
i may of overlooked? I know this may be overkill for 10GB but I accept no compromise!!!

I would ditch the ECS mobo and get a nice TYAN S5160G2NR or similiar - is more expensive but somehow I would not trust a mission critical app on a cheap ECS board... for the price you get a lot more like integrated vga & raid - you can set up a mirrored pair of root disks (or c: or whatever) for the os on the integrated raid, and it can also contain a copy of the critical data. while the raid card can have a 4-disk raid 1+0. Or you can throw a second controller in the mix (since you ditched the PCI-E card & have 2 free pci-e slots now) and each card can contain a mirrored pair each that can be mirrored via software raid, and you can survive a controller failure and maintain at least 2 copies in the worst case... depends on how much overkill you want :wink: