Question New build started, a few questions.

clarkey1984

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2014
Hi all, I've finally dragged myself out of 2011 and replaced my old core2quad based system, new specs are as follows...

Asus B250M-A motherboard, i5 7600 processor, 16gb (2x8gb) crucial 2400mhz ddr4 ram, seasonic s12III 650w psu, arctic cooling case and CPU fans / heat sync, Samsung DVD-RW drive, intel 320 series 160gb SSD, Toshiba 2tb HDD, currently just using the onboard graphics (sold my manli Ultimate branded gtx770 and my old q9650 CPU to CEX to fund a better GPU)

I have three main questions, one, is 16gb of ram enough, or should I get the other 2 slots populated with another 16 to take me up to 32?

Is the i5 going to be pretty future proof given that it's a mid range chip, or should I maybe look out for a gen 7 i7?

And thirdly, graphics cards, I don't know that much about how bottlenecks work but I think I know enough about the theory of it to have a decent couple of choices in terms of pairing up with my current cpu, I'm thinking either a gtx980ti, or an ati / Radeon fury X, although I'm leaning toward the Nvidia because of the extra vram over the ATI, any other worthwhile cards I should be looking at?

I only really play wreckfest and also make skins for wreckfest with it so it doesn't need to be a crazy gaming monster, the game isn't all that demanding really, before I had the 770 I was playing it on my old c2q rig and a gtx550ti, but being able to stick everything on ultra and not have to worry would be great.

Many thanks in advance :)

popatim

Titan
a: 16 in 2x8 is enough for most gaming unless you frequently use tons of mods in a game; then 32 would be a better choice.

b: future-proof does not exist in PC's esp when your processor is already 3 generations old. Its still a good processor but the move to multithreaded (more cores) is well under way and you might have better results going with AMD's more cores for almost the same money. The current sweet spot is 6 cores/12 threads for example.
Whats yor budget for Ram,cpu,&motherboard?

C: gtx1660 is slightly better and a 1660ti will beat a 980 is almost everything. I wouldn't leave those off the list of possibilities. Do you have a budget for a GPU?

clarkey1984

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2014
To be honest I did pretty well on what I bought, both the mobo and the CPU came off Facebook marketplace in the same town, I got the board for £25 and the chip for £70, and the ram was 30 quid, so all in all its not really cost me much as I already had all the other components.

My old CPU and GPU got me £68 voucher credit on CEX so realistically I could probably add 100 or so to that for a GPU, it's just annoying that the LGA775 stuff is worth so little, as I've got my old Asus gaming board and cooler with 8gb of ram in it, an Intel q45 build in the shed with 6gb ram and a q8300 in it, another identical q45 build at work with a q8400 and 8gb ram in it that I built just to stick music on to make the day go quicker, and 2x e8500 processors that I found in a drawer today, and all of it is worth about 7 quid lol.