[SOLVED] New build stopped booting after 2-weeks

swhalen32001

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014
New build worked fine for two weeks. Then while playing a game, game crashed. Then 15-seconds later system crashed. Unable to boot since. Brought to computer repair shop who said motherboard. So returned motherboard and installed new one. Still won’t boot. Computer shop said SSD w/OS booted on one of their test computers.

Can get into bios no problem. When letting it try to boot to OS get BSOD with various codes (e.g. IRQL error, thread not handled) then when it auto restarts gives the “attempting to repair” notice (MS OS I think) then it locks up. I followed the Before you post steps. Scared it’s the CPU because I’m beyond return timeframe.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Corsair 760T
I9-9900K
Gigabyte Aorus z390 Pro w/wifi
Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NvME
G.Skill Ripjaws V - DDR4 - 3600
Corsair H115i pro
Corsair RM-850
EVGA GeForce 770 (yeah, saving up to replace this)

Last edited:
Solution
You can use memtest without using the OS. You just need to create a bootable USB flash drive in another PC system and then set it as the 1st boot device in the UEFI and let it do its magic in your PC for 4-5 hours. If you don't see any errors then the RAM is fine. It's a very important step in your case. RAM errors can corrupt an operating system and you may even be unable to complete windows setup.

Additionally the SSD may be fine and this issue could be caused by OS corruption on the SSD. There is no need to get another SSD just use this one unless of course you have important files on it and you can't erase it. If that's not the can then try to format/secure erase the SSD and proceed with the windows re-installation. If you manage...
Have you tried to boot with the integrated Intel GPU? You have to remove the GTX 770 and if your system boots successfully then it's probably the GPU (or perhaps the PSU). Additionally the SSD/OS may have gotten corrupted from the initial crash. Also you changed the motherboard and if you've got a different model you may have to re-install windows. So you have to reformat or secure erase the SSD and re-install windows on it. By the way you forgot to mention the SSD model.

swhalen32001

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014
Thanks, updated system to reflect Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NvME. I pulled the GPU and tried biting with integrated graphics - same result. I also tried pulling one stick or ram with same result.

I will try changing out PSU.

SSD installed but on second reboot I get option to boot from DVD. Still same problem. I think that eliminates SSD. Not sure what’s left.

Last edited:
Does the OS load? Have you tried to re-install windows? The 2nd motherboard is the same model as the 1st one?

The fact that the SSD booted on another machine doesn't tell the whole story. Additionally it may even have made the situation worse because booting the SSD on another PC may force the OS to load drivers that are incompatible with your current system, which could create an OS crash/lock-up. So you must erase everything in that SSD and then re-install windows.

I don't think it's the PSU because a PSU failure would also cause other issues. With that said , it doesn't hurt testing your system with a 2nd PSU just in case. As for the RAM you have to test the RAM for errors with memtest. Only then you'll know for sure whether the RAM is fine or not. From what you've written here you don't seem to be experiencing boot issues. It's really important to know if your system manages to boot successfully since a boot failure could point to other suspects.

Finally you have to set the SSD as the 1st boot device in the UEFI/BIOS. If you did that and you keep getting the option to boot from DVD something is happening with the BIOS (dead CMOS battery?) or the SSD is failing thus disappearing from the UEFI. Additionally if the OS got somehow corrupted, you have to secure erase the SSD and re-install the OS, otherwise it may not be able to load successfully. Good luck.

swhalen32001

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014
Does the OS load? Have you tried to re-install windows? The 2nd motherboard is the same model as the 1st one?

The fact that the SSD booted on another machine doesn't tell the whole story. Additionally it may even have made the situation worse because booting the SSD on another PC may force the OS to load drivers that are incompatible with your current system, which could create an OS crash/lock-up. So you must erase everything in that SSD and then re-install windows.

I don't think it's the PSU because a PSU failure would also cause other issues. With that said , it doesn't hurt testing your system with a 2nd PSU just in case. As for the RAM you have to test the RAM for errors with memtest. Only then you'll know for sure whether the RAM is fine or not. From what you've written here you don't seem to be experiencing boot issues. It's really important to know if your system manages to boot successfully since a boot failure could point to other suspects.

Finally you have to set the SSD as the 1st boot device in the UEFI/BIOS. If you did that and you keep getting the option to boot from DVD something is happening with the BIOS (dead CMOS battery?) or the SSD is failing thus disappearing from the UEFI. Additionally if the OS got somehow corrupted, you have to secure erase the SSD and re-install the OS, otherwise it may not be able to load successfully. Good luck.

OS does not boot. First it crashes to BSOD then, on auto reboot, it looks up while trying to repair Windows. After manual reboot it repeats the cycle. I can’t test memory because I get into Windows. Thinking maybe pull M.2 and start with a brand new SATA SSD.

You can use memtest without using the OS. You just need to create a bootable USB flash drive in another PC system and then set it as the 1st boot device in the UEFI and let it do its magic in your PC for 4-5 hours. If you don't see any errors then the RAM is fine. It's a very important step in your case. RAM errors can corrupt an operating system and you may even be unable to complete windows setup.

Additionally the SSD may be fine and this issue could be caused by OS corruption on the SSD. There is no need to get another SSD just use this one unless of course you have important files on it and you can't erase it. If that's not the can then try to format/secure erase the SSD and proceed with the windows re-installation. If you manage to complete it then the SSD is fine. However if you are still having issues you may have to RMA the SSD and wait for a new drive, or alternatively if you can't wait you can then get another SSD and re-install windows. Good luck.

Solution