Question New build stops booting after plugging fans into motherboard

Nov 10, 2022
Hi there, just finished building my new pc and I'm having a big problem. I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me some advice.

When I booted it up for the first time I was relieved to see bios come onto the screen. I recognized the mouse and keyboard, everything seemed to be working ... except the fans at the front of the case weren't turning. I did some research and found out the case fans are connected to a splitter. I am not familiar with splitters and could not figure out how to connect it to the motherboard. The case is a Coolermaster MB511 ARGB and the splitter comes pre-installed.

I unplugged the three 4-pin connections from the splitter and plugged two of them into the motherboard (the third was too short to reach any of the remaining headers). To reach one of the headers I had to unplug the power connection from the motherboard. I also decided to plug in the reset button connection while I was at it, and to do this I had to unplug the power button connection to reach behind it. Afterward I plugged everything back in.

Then I tried to boot it back up again, and ... nothing. The power won't come on anymore.

I tried unplugging the power supply from the motherboard and plugging it back in, several times, but it made no difference. All I can think is that maybe I fried the motherboard - it was the only time during the build I got near the motherboard without an anti-static wristband.

Any ideas? I'm kind of upset, I can't believe I screwed up so badly at the last step.

Lutfij

Titan
All I can think is that maybe I fried the motherboard - it was the only time during the build I got near the motherboard without an anti-static wristband.
Unless you have a horribly built PSU in your build, it's really hard to damage components with static when you don't wear an anti static wrist band.

To add, did you follow through the step outlined in your cases manual,
https://coolermaster.egnyte.com/dl/mlzZY9klYf
step # 9 to be precise...?

On second thoughts, can you please pass on the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Nov 10, 2022
Hi there! Oh man, thanks so much for linking me to the manual, the case didn't come with any documentation and I had foolishly assumed maybe there was no manual.

I didn't realize the splitter was supposed to plug directly into the power supply. After you sent me the link I decided to set things back to the original configuration before I unplugged the fans from the splitter. I had no expectation that this could solve the problem, but I thought I'd give it a try.

It's working now! It booted! I don't understand why it worked but it did!

I'll connect the splitter into the power supply now and hopefully the fans will start working.

Thank you so much, you saved me from being up all night feeling intensely depressed.

Reactions: Lutfij and cAllen