Apr 25, 2022
Hey everyone, first time posting here. Wish it were better circumstances

The build;
I7 12700k
MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 ProSeries
T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16gb x2 3600Mhz
GTX 1070ti
Western digital sn850 2tb

I put the build together a few days ago and everything was working great. I got windows 11 installed and all of my old programs and games. It was working really well up until this afternoon. I purchased Red Dead Redemption 2, the game was downloading (very fast btw) and the system blue screened and wouldn't turn back on.

Rebooting the system would have the MSI logo flash but then go to a black screen. Completely unable to access the bios as well. I started taking apart the system and once I removed the M.2 drive the system would at least get to the bios. I'm thinking something happened to the M.2 drive and now its broken? The bios is updated to the most recent version however it still wont boot or get past just a black screen when the M.2 is inserted. I've tried all the slots without result.

I have no way of testing the M.2 drive, I'm wondering if I'm missing anything or not here. I'm assuming since the bios is booting the motherboard/cpu/gpu isn't the problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Apr 25, 2022
Hey, thanks for the replies. I tried clearing the CMOS and swapping the RAM around... nothing.

I installed windows onto an old SSD and everything seems to be working fine. I can't get the PC to boot when I have the M.2 drive installed in any slot, I'm guessing the MOBO prioritizes M.2 for boot?

But I guess the M.2 was defective? Kind of weird how it suddenly died after 2 days of working fine. Was it something to do with the stress it was under writing all that data from the download? Idk. I'm also wondering if there's something wrong with the mobo recognizing the drive/something wrong with the lane?

I have a 750w corsair PSU.

ASK THE COMMUNITY