larsv8

Distinguished
Approximate Purchase Date: As soon as the new parts of obtainable
Budget Range: Flexible
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming
Are you buying a monitor: No
Parts to Upgrade: Everything
Do you need to buy OS: Maybe, need to see if any of my keys are transferrable
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I have a Microcenter near me. Trying to keep as few manufacturers as possible to cut down on bloatware.
Parts Preferences: Leaning Ryzen / Corsair / Asus - flexible
Overclocking: Maybe
SLI or Crossfire: No
Your Monitor Resolution:
LG OLED CX 48" - 4k or 1440 @ 120 hz
And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: To get full ray tracing / 4k experience at 120 hz. with enough headroom to handle the iCue bloatware

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM 97 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($169.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.49 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($142.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen4 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($143.00 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Corsair ML120 PRO 47.3 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Corsair ML120 PRO 47.3 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Custom: Corsair Fan Controller Commander Pro (CL-9011110-WW) ($70.98 @ Amazon)
Custom: LG - 48" Class - CX Series - 4K UHD TV - Smart - OLED - with HDR
Custom: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Total: $1251.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-30 16:18 EDT-0400

Okay so this is a splurge build. Looking for compact, clean, and powerful system with consistent manufacturers (Corsair / Asus) to cut back on bloatware. Will do some mild overclocking. Play alot of Overwatch (1440p), and am looking forward to running through all the Ray Tracing games, Fallen Order, Control, Tomb Raider, Wolfenstein etc at 4k

CPU - I am banking on the 5900x being a beast, will wait for reviews of course, but I think the 5900x will serve me will.
Cooler - Case can only fit a max of 280mm radiator. Went with corsair to be consistent. Will be front mounted.
Motherboard - Went B550 F because it has two PCI 4.0 channels, and I wanted one for each GPU and NVME. Also to be consistent with GPU. (Would be fine switching both to Gigabyte)
Memory - Went with Corsair here but I am flexible if anyone thinks there is a better set / timings. I never know what is best with RAM seeing as how there are four variables (Hz, CAS, Capacity, # of channels)
Storage - Went with PCI 4.0 because I am interested in the RTX IO technology and I am betting the 4.0 lanes helping on load times. Maybe not, but better safe than sorry.
Video Card - 3090 Strix - Want the best, and the best for a while. It would kill me to buy a 3080, then having a 3080ti or 20gb model released 3 months later. Also consistent with Mobo (Would be fine switching both to Gigabyte)
Case - P400A - already purchased. I have a case holder which can only hold smaller cases, so this is the one.
PSU - I think 850 watts will be enough. Went with Corsair to be consistent, open to other models, maybe the ASUS?
Cooling - Doing 3 front fans for intake, AIO mounted behind them, in push pull. 2 Top and 1 Rear exhaust. Fans match those included with AIO.
Display - Already purchased. I freaking love this thing! Perfect blacks, 120 hz, gsync. I also have a PG279Q in the closet as a backup.

Other consideration - fitment

Case has 420 mm GPU Clearance (16.7 inch)
GPU - 12.53 inch - 318.26 mm
Push Fan - .98 inch - 25 mm
AIO Radiator - 1.06 inch - 27 mm
Pull Fan - .98 inch - 25 mm

Total - 15.56 inch - 395.26mm

So there it is, please rip it apart. Open to any and all suggestions or challenging or my reasoning.

Thanks!

Solution
CPU - I am banking on the 5900x being a beast, will wait for reviews of course, but I think the 5900x will serve me will.
Cooler - Case can only fit a max of 280mm radiator. Went with corsair to be consistent. Will be front mounted.
Motherboard - Went B550 F because it has two PCI 4.0 channels, and I wanted one for each GPU and NVME. Also to be consistent with GPU. (Would be fine switching both to Gigabyte)
Memory - Went with Corsair here but I am flexible if anyone thinks there is a better set / timings. I never know what is best with RAM seeing as how there are four variables (Hz, CAS, Capacity, # of channels)
Storage - Went with PCI 4.0 because I am interested in the RTX IO technology and I am betting the 4.0 lanes helping on...

g-unit1111

Titan
Storage - Went with PCI 4.0 because I am interested in the RTX IO technology and I am betting the 4.0 lanes helping on load times. Maybe not, but better safe than sorry.
Video Card - 3090 Strix - Want the best, and the best for a while. It would kill me to buy a 3080, then having a 3080ti or 20gb model released 3 months later. Also consistent with Mobo (Would be fine switching both to Gigabyte)
Case - P400A - already purchased. I have a case holder which can only hold smaller cases, so this is the one.
PSU - I think 850 watts will be enough. Went with Corsair to be consistent, open to other models, maybe the ASUS?
Cooling - Doing 3 front fans for intake, AIO mounted behind them, in push pull. 2 Top and 1 Rear exhaust. Fans match those included with AIO.
Display - Already purchased. I freaking love this thing! Perfect blacks, 120 hz, gsync. I also have a PG279Q in the closet as a backup.

There's not much known about the next AMD line yet but I would definitely wager that it's going to be better than the current generation, which is already better than Intel.. I wouldn't count on buying current hardware planning for future hardware because it almost never works out that way. B550 might be compatible with the 5900X with a BIOS update but even that's not really known yet.

You don't have to have the same manufacturer for motherboard and GPU, the only reason you might do that is for uniform lighting, but most lighting systems are pretty similar in nature.

And yes if you get the current generation Ryzen, absolutely get a PCI 4.0 drive as your boot drive. I have a Sabrent Rocket as my primary drive on my 3900X rig and it was worth every penny.

As far as PSU goes every manufacturer has good and bad units. I recently bought a Corsair RM750X to replace an aging Seasonic PSU, so I can vouch for high end Corsair units. Also keep in mind that buying a 3090 you will need the proper connectors for it.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So there it is, please rip it apart.
*kracks knuckles
Ok...

[Video Card - 3090 Strix - Want the best, and the best for a while.]
That's not how halo products work.
The best for a while? Like what? 1 or 2 years?
That's something you 'lease' until the next halo launch is imminent, during which you sell the 3090 - it should have a good resell value at that time - and purchase the new halo.

[Okay so this is a splurge build.]
Really? I think you still cut some corners:
-B550 motherboard, and not X570?
-3200mhz, and not 3600 CL16?
-Phanteks P600S says hi... too bad you already bought the P400A.

[Will do some mild overclocking.]
/sigh
And after all the flak Ryzen 3000 gets for manual OC... It's crap, and an inferior performance tweak.
If the 5000 series turns out to be a refresh of 3000, there will be no OC headroom to speak of.
Get a 10600K if you want a smooth manual OC experience... overclocking shouldn't be a requirement; it's a hobby, not a feature.

[Cooling - Doing 3 front fans for intake, AIO mounted behind them, in push pull. 2 Top and 1 Rear exhaust. Fans match those included with AIO.]
That actually won't fit like that - 3x 120mm fans onto the 280mm rad, I mean. Try again.

[Open to any and all suggestions or challenging or my reasoning.]
You're splurging, therefore you don't care about things like value or cost per frame. Buy what you want, be happy with it, and do not, under any circumstances, do performance comparisons later, because reality is just going to slap you in the face.
This thread should've just asked whether the components were compatible or not - they are.

larsv8

Distinguished
[Video Card - 3090 Strix - Want the best, and the best for a while.]
That's not how halo products work.
The best for a while? Like what? 1 or 2 years?
That's something you 'lease' until the next halo launch is imminent, during which you sell the 3090 - it should have a good resell value at that time - and purchase the new halo.

I am comfortable with 1-2 years as "a while"

[Okay so this is a splurge build.]
Really? I think you still cut some corners:
-B550 motherboard, and not X570?
-3200mhz, and not 3600 CL16?
-Phanteks P600S says hi... too bad you already bought the P400A.

From what I read, the X570 doesn't offer much more than a B550, unless you are doing serious overclocking, which I am not. I am happy to hear the argument that I need an X570 though!

On RAM, from what I researched, 3200 seemed to be the sweet spot, and performed better than 3600 in some cases, in others it was neglible, however I am fine with switching if you want to recommend a good kit.

On the case, as silly as it is, I am space limited and needed the inputs / buttons in a certain spot and the p400 checked all the boxes. Anyway, a case is a case, so meh

[Will do some mild overclocking.]
/sigh
And after all the flak Ryzen 3000 gets for manual OC... It's crap, and an inferior performance tweak.
If the 5000 series turns out to be a refresh of 3000, there will be no OC headroom to speak of.
Get a 10600K if you want a smooth manual OC experience... overclocking shouldn't be a requirement; it's a hobby, not a feature.

Overclocking is not really a goal of mine, but I will take the free extra performance, even if it is minor. I am not an intel fan, as they kinda burned me on a previous build and lost my business.

[Cooling - Doing 3 front fans for intake, AIO mounted behind them, in push pull. 2 Top and 1 Rear exhaust. Fans match those included with AIO.]
That actually won't fit like that - 3x 120mm fans onto the 280mm rad, I mean. Try again.

Are you sure? I had some concerns myself, but found a completed build which suggests otherwise.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/q3KBD3

I think the 3 fans will mount to the chasis, the 280 rad sits on them and 2 140s on the rad. Here is that builders comments on the front setup

Thanks! The front installation was kind of a pain. First step was to remove the front stock case fans. The IO cables were a bit of a struggle as you can see the radiator is pushed all the way to the top. The only way I was able to fit it was to remove the hard drive shroud (you can even see the HDD in the first 2 pics because the shroud is gone). After that, the rest of the installation was a breeze. I actually added the 3 fans in the front after the radiator install, and to do that you just need to take the rad off, mount the 3 fans, then re-mount the radiator.

It was a little tricky, and kind of sucks the HDD shroud is gone, but worked out in the end. If you need more help, I can add some photos for you.

[Open to any and all suggestions or challenging or my reasoning.]
You're splurging, therefore you don't care about things like value or cost per frame. Buy what you want, be happy with it, and do not, under any circumstances, do performance comparisons later, because reality is just going to slap you in the face.
This thread should've just asked whether the components were compatible or not - they are.

Thanks for the input.

Cost per frame definitely not my priority.